DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Look at these pistons ............
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 am 

..........and, what are your thoughts? I have mine, but would like to hear others. 88mm set of Pistals used one year on the track. These are not mine. MikeV

Attachment:
pis.jpg
pis.jpg [ 253.29 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Post subject: Re: Look at these pistons ............
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:14 pm 

If the skirts are not torn up and measure out ok they should be usable. Inspect the pin and pin bores for wear/galling and see if the ring lands are beat up or worn. I don't have the specs but they shouldn't be hard to come up with. I've used Gio ca Motos for a few seasons without a failure, sure a little loose but whats a little oil use?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:14 pm 

Hey Mike...
If it wasn't for the one valve pocket being clean, I would guess a very poorly executed squish band. Improperly torqued heads, bad ignition or cam timing? Something was retarding full flame travel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm 

To me it is a good example of why hemi head combustion chambers with high compression pistons really need a plug in the center, or one on both sides of the bump. Seems the flame can just make it over the hill from the plug side, but not quite to the plain below on the other side. Makes me wonder how the piston feels getting hit from one side all the time - ouch.

I remember a “debate” with another Guzzi owner after I had dual-plugged my big-bore Lemans. I was then able to retard the ignition several degrees, it felt like it would wheelie just leaving the garage, and the MPG went to around 52 from about 48. Oh, and I had installed even bigger valves at the same time. Yet, he insisted, others had proven dual plugs added nothing.

Plenty of old race Ducatis had them, and even many modern two-valve Ducatis now have them. I wonder why we don’t do it more when we build engines.

MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 pm 

Hi Mike...
I've read about the shadow effect high domed pistons can have on flame travel, but didn't realize how severe the results can be. The clean areas of the tops look like they just came out of the box. You would think there would be at least a little carbon build up across the entire crown.
Regards...
Flattop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 am 

How about too fat on the jetting. In 2 strokes we called those clean areas piston wash. Around the intake/ports you would see this, the coolest parts of the piston.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 pm 

Another possibility Cal. But why aren’t they coated with carbon? Like many engines i have disassembled. Maybe (probably) they were and got cleaned up. Would be interesting to see the combustion chambers. Still, you can see how far the flame burned with enthusiasm. MikeV

PS: These are now listed on ebay with a few days left. The walls are also pretty well scuffed. Maybe they were drowned in fuel.

Post subject: Look familiar?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:09 am 

These are pistons from different bikes (both 620cc 80mm ) for sale on ebay. The first three pictures show the incomplete flame travel and resulting damage. The last picture shows normal combustion, if not a little rich. It would be good to know what causes this and how to avoid it.
Regards....
Flattop

Attachments:
620 piston abi normal 1.jpg
620 piston abi normal 1.jpg [ 242.29 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
620 piston abi normal 2.jpg
620 piston abi normal 2.jpg [ 215.81 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
620 piston abi normal 3.jpg
620 piston abi normal 3.jpg [ 215.83 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
620 piston normal.jpg
620 piston normal.jpg [ 232.82 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm 

I am often surprised at how many of these show up on ebay — pistons out of modern computer-controlled fuel-injected engines that are obviously too rich. I thought the modern parts and electronics had this under control.

Not sure this is the same problem as the photos I posted, but still interesting.

“Lean is mean”.

MikeV