DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OK Here we go but not bike build of the year
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:51 pm 

I've decided it's time to start on the F1 restoration or I'll never get it done before I die. I am actually doing two resto's at the same time cause I tend to get bored easily. I am doing a cosmetic restoration (strip down clean up and paint with no engine work) of my 1982 Suzuki Katana GSX750SZ as well as doing the F1. I will pick up the F1 from the storage shed on the weekend to start going through what needs to be done and also go through my stash of spares I have built up over the years. I know it will need an engine rebuild as it has locked up from sitting. Hopefully not too much damage there. I'll definitely paint the frame and wheels but am thinking I may leave the plastics with their original patina. Depends on how much damage is evident on closer look.

I'd be keen on recommendations for an engine rebuilder in the Brisbane, Queensland, Australia region. I have one who has done assorted other engines and I know this is just a big Pantah engine but I feel it is wise to ask the learned first. This will be about the 14th bike I've restored so have a good list of people who can make stuff that is NLA and my painter is second to none. But the engine bit is top of my list.

Thanks in advance and look forward to sharing the fun!

Post subject: Re: OK Here we go but not bike build of the year
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 am 

Hi pkay...
Great opening line. I'm certain that you are not the only one rowing that boat. I look forward to seeing your completed resto.
Regards...
Flattop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 am 

GETR DONE ;) show us what ya got.....

Clay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 pm 

Here is a pic of the beast before I put her away. I didn't get to it on the weekend as the Katana took 2 days to strip and catalogue. I've never seen such a combination of over and under engineering on the one bike. I'm looking forward to what the Ducati has to offer.......
Attachment:
Ducati 750 F1 Pre resto.jpg
Ducati 750 F1 Pre resto.jpg [ 92.41 KiB | Viewed 26184 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm 

And because I've worked out how to upload pictures here is a photo of one of the stablemates......
Attachment:
Ducati 900 MHR.jpg
Ducati 900 MHR.jpg [ 147 KiB | Viewed 26184 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:47 am 

The katana is a motorcycle disaster ... the F1 will be almost all joys.
A few years ago I helped a friend restore his Katana and I do not have good memories :mrgreen:
Now I'm doing an F1 starting from a frame (and my face is more cheerful) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 pm 

Hey 750TT
I hope there is lots of joys - I'm always surprised that the value of a Ducati doesn't seem to equate to the underlying complexity of the bike. The Hailwood in the previous picture was an unplanned resto because it caught fire when I went to start it about 2 years ago. I was very surprised how basic the bike was (after a dozen or so Jap bike restos). The Katana is mainly cosmetic so hopefully not too much of an issue (famous last words). I think parts will be the challenge with the F1 but I don't plan to do anything with the fairings (except maybe new mount screws) and I know these are usually the hardest bits to find being unique to the bike.

Good luck with you build too!

PK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:30 am 

fairing .. I have a problem with that, I hope it's not a long-term problem :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 pm 

Hi All
The 750 F1 resto has started. For those of you into such things it is chassis 83 and engine number 163. So far things have looked OK. This site just proved it's worth in gold with the front tank strap discussion, another part ticked off the list. Like other Ducati's I've restored the actual mechanics are straight forward and disassembly frighteningly easy! With only 14,000km on the clock it is in original condition and fortunately the wiring loom shows no signs of outside interference. The shoddy connection from the pulse coil was breathtaking in its well shoddiness! I attached a battery before disassembly and all lights and switches (except the horn) worked. I didn't try the starter as the condition of the cylinders is unknown.

So far main works will be engine rebuild - the horizontal cylinder doesn't look too promising and there was a lot of corrosion in the inlet - open bell mouth carbies aren't good for long term storage huh?? The rear cylinder looked perfect. Engine builder lined up but I'll do some research on traps for new players all the same. Engine will go off for rebuild this weekend.

Seat recover also lined up. Will need to rechrome the fork inners. Main problem is the exhaust which has a number of rust holes. I've ground away the rust to metal so think it can be patched and welded. I'll get it resprayed satin anyway and the repairs wont be noticeable under the exhaust.

Another item is the steering damper. Repair or replace? I presume it's a parts bin part? I'll attach some pictures to the next post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 pm 

Here are some pictures of work to date.

Attachments:
Pipe.jpg
Pipe.jpg [ 79.44 KiB | Viewed 25800 times ]
Rear.jpg
Rear.jpg [ 71.25 KiB | Viewed 25800 times ]
Horizontal.jpg
Horizontal.jpg [ 103.38 KiB | Viewed 25800 times ]
Half way.jpg
Half way.jpg [ 117.03 KiB | Viewed 25800 times ]