DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ducati TT and F1 Forum - Bike Build of the Year 2014
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:20 am 

Hi Guys (and Gals if there are any?)

I am sure you will all agree that there have been some pretty amazing bikes built by Forum members this year :P Therefore, before the year runs out I think it would be great to summarise all the builds on a single thread - (click on reply to successive posts to this topic) - for all of us to admire the ingenuity of our friends around the world and to re-acquaint ourselves with these great bikes.

As 2014 is the inaugural Bike Build I hope that members who have posted their builds on the forum in the proceeding years will also submit their bikes into this thread.

To be part of the fun, please simply post your two favourite images of your Build - one image of the completed bike, and the second image of a part of the project that - you enjoyed the most or hated the most or whatever'd the most that you would like to share ;) An anecdote would be great to include if you have one - like how your wife made you sleep in the dog house for a week after she found motorcycle parts in the dishwasher :o

Sometime in late December I will invite all forum members to nominate their favourite build. If you are a forum member who has not yet made a post on the forum, here is your chance to "break the ice" and make your first comment on the forum ;) by nominating your favourite bike.

That's it!

Let's see some bike pictures!

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Ducati TT and F1 Forum - Bike Build of the Year 2014
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 pm 

Mike - I think you're onto something! On the weekend, I'll open a new sub-forum (once I figure out how) so we can move this along. I'll try and figure out how to implement the survey/voting function as well.

Every build on the forum is special given the heart & soul that goes into all the machines that have come to life though the pictures and stories that make up the incredible conversation that's been going on here for the last few years - but awarding an annual "Peoples Choice" or "Bike of the Year" sounds like a great way to recognize the member who has created something that really hits us at an emotional or technical level.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:33 am 

Also... there is a great spectrum level of finish in the builds on the forum - some builds like Steve's recent example are of a very high standard of professionalism and finish, and other bikes may be quite humble or modest by comparison. I think we all agree that we are very keen to see ALL these different levels of builds, meaning that your low budget build with spray can paint job with bugs in it and your first blobby effort with a welder may just be the bike that presses the emotional and technical buttons Steve mentioned below.

So, start sifting thru those photos and post your completed Build :P

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am 

I like the idea of a year end review of project progress made, all in one thread. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of voting on them.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:10 am 

pantah_good wrote:
I like the idea of a year end review of project progress made, all in one thread. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of voting on them.
Bill

I see your point, Bill. Good thing this is a democratic forum... I think my first task on the weekend will be to put up a survey. Then I'll launch the new sub-forum and we'll see where we go.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 am 

I hear you Bill, I have been a little concerned myself that the Bike Build of the Year may turn into a competition for the "most perfect bike" which I don't want it to be. I am thinking more Bike "Build" of the Year than "bike" of the year.

It is the story of the build and its creator as well as the bike that that interests us most, else we would all head down to the Ducati shop and by a Panigale!

Cheers,
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 pm 

How about all the builds getting recognition as bike of the month? I think there was at least 12 months worth of bikes built since the forum came into existence!
paul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:57 am 

8-) Gents,
how about a budget bike build? There are some on a shoe string (me) and some on with a football boot lace up.... (not me). In fact, I'm wearing slippers now that the project is finished.....sort of.

Either way, I'm subscribed! Where do I start?

I'd like to make a mention of everybody's contribution for their knowledge, guidance, wisdom and with words of encouragement and support right from this very forum.

Thanks for the idea Mike!
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 am 

how about a "least progress award"? so those of us displaying stunning depths of inaction can rub shoulders with the over achievers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 am 

I have already won that award :roll: The Full Monty project has been on hold for over a year now...

Profile Personal album