DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Original Conti system for squarecase.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 pm 

Hi guys, GPL (Grand Poobah Lou) tells me that you guys may be able to drop some knowledge, as the young kids say.
Looking to buy a full system with mufflers & stamped headers/crossover from one of the two outfits in Australia for my 79 900SS.
The Aussie dollar is not doing so well, so it make a lot of sense to buy the whole set from there. Now.
My question is if anyone can comment on the quality of either part from each respective outlet.
Hitchcock at Road & Race is selling a full set, with clamps for $2480.00 Aus ($1800.00 US) plus shipping, which really is a great price because of the currency disparity. His headers & clamps are priced the same as Gowanloch Ducati, but the Gowanloch mufflers are $1950.00 Aus compared to Road & Race mufflers which are $1300.00 Aus. That's a huge disparity.

The two web sites could not be in any more contrast as to what you can see that you are buying.

I've been researching this aspect of my 900ss restoration for years, not because i needed years to figure it out, but because i could never fund the actual purchase, lol. So, i have come to learn a fair amount about regarding the subject, so in the interest of not getting bogged down in alternatives, i will note some alternatives that i have had a hard look at & have for one reason or another found that they are not viable for my particular situatio.

I know what i can get that is sold here in America & know who from.

I know that a nice gentleman in Germany named Ottmar Unmussig @ Moto Italia sells mufflers & a vertical header, but no crossover & no oriz header. At this point, at least 4 years have passed & every time i contact him regarding the situation he is a couple months away from rectifying it.

Old Racing Spares shows headers & crossovers that i believe are unstamped & at this time, no mufflers.

When Reno was in America for his spring 2014 visit we spoke at length about him being able to get a system from the old country, but when he got back home he called & said that it was no longer the case.

So, unless there is yet another option, i am down to Gowie or Hitchcock with the large discrepancy in price leaving me to question my choice.
If anyone with actual experience on buying a square case system from either seller can weigh in, that would be great.
Grazie A Tutti.

Post subject: Re: Original Conti system for squarecase.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:16 am 

Hi Enzo

the rights to the Conti name and the tooling are bought by Mauricio from the Italian Scrambler Club Amici Dello Scrambler .

production is started a while back , here the link to the website:

http://www.ducativintagestore.eu/marmitte_conti

Eldert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:23 am 

Hi Enzo,
A couple years ago I had inquired about a set of curved Conti exhausts put on a R90S at Moto Borgotaro in Brooklyn and was told..."they are available -- but very expensive -- 1400$ plus shipping from Germany -- sound is amazing". Check with Peter at:
Moto Borgotaro inc.
97 Union Street
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11231
347-844-9090
http://www.motoborgotaro.com/
Bill

Attachments:
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg [ 75.18 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]
IMG_1398.jpg
IMG_1398.jpg [ 136.22 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:16 pm 

Eldert, Thank you.
That is the gentleman that Reno spoke of. No 900SS headers avail.

Pantah_Good,
Thanks.
$1400.00 would in fact probably buy a set of mufflers these days. Mufflers can be had in USA,Italy,Germany & Australia.
The curved Contis are avail from Road & Race at this time for $1300.00 Australian which at this time is $916.00 American.
http://roadandrace.com.au/cat19.htm

Looking for someone who has purchased a full system from one of the two outfits in Australia.
Thanks!

Edit:
My research at this time finds that only Gowanloch racing in Australia as offering both original Conti mufflers AND stamped headers for the bike in question.