DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: my Pantah racer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 pm 

Not positive Cranky, but I think the oil passage inside the cover from the oil pump hole to the crank must be blocked off in some fashion when the two lines are installed. Otherwise part of the oil goes to the new cooler line and part goes to the crankshaft. Is this right? MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:27 pm 

Hi Mike...
The oil port for the crank turns so close to the inside face of the case, a threaded bushing or banjo bolt of sufficient length will effectively block the galley to the crank. I actually don't think you can avoid it. This kind of throws a monkey wrench into my new plans. I want to run the lower filtered line to the cooler and then onto the heads and retain the normal flow to the crank. My next problem is, will there be enough volume of oil from that single galley to supply both the heads and crank? Are there any fluid dynamic engineers reading this that can explain relationships between volume, pressure and any other effects I am totally ignorant of?
Regards...
Flattop900

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:48 pm 

I think Cranky is the guy you are looking for. MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:09 pm 

Okay...
This diagram answers a lot of questions. Not knowing the oil path was confusing the heck out of me. So, Mr. Cranky, if I only run the lower filtered line to the cooler, without altering the flow to the end of the crank, and only feed the heads from the cooler, do all of your line size and restriction values still apply?
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion, most of all Filippo who originally started it.
Now I know...
Flattop900

Attachments:
oil path pantah.jpg
oil path pantah.jpg [ 54.21 KiB | Viewed 76198 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:15 pm 

Hay Flattop I think the answer is yes. What motor block are you using? I have only plumbed bikes like what is on my sketches.
Study the pics of the second generation TT2 (1983). It diverts the whole flow to the oil cooler from the oil gallery after the filter and then taps off to heads and crank after cooler. Good pic are on "Messenger in Red" article posted on this forum. Restriction is required on the head feeds or you'll over oil them and possibly starve the crank.
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:18 pm 

Look at oil routing and line size on the TT2.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11130

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:01 pm 

Hey Cranky...
Great article. Should have been called "Blueprint for building a TT2". I'm using the TL600 block with a mechanical clutch. My plan is to basically run the cooling lines the same way it's done, by using the pressure switch port. Only I am going to tap off the cover where the filtered oil is, being careful not to block the internal passage for the crank end. I couldn't get my head around how there could be pressure at the heads, crank, and switch with filtered oil only at two places. Found the picture of the lubrication path and the clouds parted.

Thank you for all the great help...
Flattop900

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 am 

Yes thank you for the help and partecipation at this topic.
I have to carefully read hall your reply and try to fully understand them.
Ciao and thanks
Filippo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:05 am 

This is an OUTSANDING thread and very helpful to my current project (750F1 engine with big valves, NCR 7 cams, big ports and big carbs in TT2 Verlicchi frame. Currently trying to work out where to run the oil lines). If only it had been here when I was completing my previous one (650 Alazzurra motor bored to 750 in 750F1 frame with oil lines to heads). Thanks to all who have contributed such useful information!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:02 pm 

Hi jr91...
MikeV started another thread on the TT1 TT2 Technical Discussion page. Kind of a continuation of this one.
Regards...
Flattop900

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next