DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dyna mini coils
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:15 pm 

I would like to change out the coils on my race Pantah. I had read that Cranky had started using the 3 ohm Dyna mini coils. I was wondering if these would fit in the stock location under the tank? And if they do fit under the tank, will they get too hot? I run AHRMA, sprints, usually 6 to 8 laps at the most.

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: Dyna mini coils
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm 

No Dave, it will not fit until you make it fit. Nothing that is after-market ever "bolts-on".

But you can do it, and they will do just fine. Keep them on the aluminum plate (heat sink), or put them out in the breeze (display them proudly) with some extra-long wiring. Yellow and red plug wires really attract attention but, sadly, not from the girls.

Yes, I know you said mini-coils. Still won't fit!

my sick humor

MikeV

Attachment:
IM003405.JPG
IM003405.JPG [ 552.32 KiB | Viewed 1800 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 am 

Yes and no is the answer. As MikeV says the minis wont bolt directly in but will fit in the stock space I assume on your pantah? They are not that much smaller than the old green dynas but when things are tight they are just “mini” enough. The 3 Ohm minis (actual is 2.3) will work well with both Bosch and Kokasan ignitions. They are running in quite a few TT ad F1 racers with no overheating problems and noticed added performance over stock. The pantah location I think might be a little warmer but I don’t think that would be a problem. FYI-Many pantah ran the green dynas in stock local back in the day.
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:09 pm 

Mike,

I guess I need to go with the full size green coils.....most girls are not impressed by anything "mini". :D

Cranky,

Yes these coils will be going in my pantah. The longest I am ever on the track for at one time is 15 to 20 minutes, so I was assuming overheating would not be a problem. But it is good to know that they work well in your race bikes.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:49 am 

I have not posted in a while, summer has been busy, racing etc. But I did want to say that the Dyna mini coils, or any upgraded coils for that matter, were a great investment. Huge blue sparks translated into instantaneous start up. I had to fab up a couple of small brackets to make them fit in the existing pantah mounts, but well worth the effort.

With AHRMA, I took a third at Road America, my first podium, and a 4th at Grattan. My bike with the new 650 engine is definitely fast enough to keep up with the leaders.....unfortunately, I am now the limiting factor, not the bike. More track time is order.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:52 am 

Way to go Dave! Would love to see any current photos.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:35 am 

Glad to get a report from "the front", Dave. Good that you have done well, and that there is hope for old Pantahs. Did you get the bigger valves in? And, how about a few photos?

MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:23 pm 

I will make a seperate post with some pics. It has been a pretty big year for me with Ducati's and such.