DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swingarm needle bearing conversion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:57 pm 

So I am getting my new 650 engine ready for an upcoming track day. The bronze swingarm bushings are in decent shape, but as long as the engine is on the bench it might be a good time to do a needle bearing conversion. I have read in the DIOC newsletters about a conversion that Dr. Desmo came up with. It involved machining a new swingarm pin and actually installing the needle bearings in the swingarm itself. Is this the only option, or is it possible to just replace the bronze bushings themselves and press in needle bearings?

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: Swingarm needle bearing conversion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:59 am 

Well, I will chime in: Sounds like a lot of effort for little gain. It seems few bother to do this, and I've never read of the TTs needing it (needle bearings). MikeV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:21 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I had heard from a parts supplier that I should not bother with the bronze bushings and go with the needle bearings. I will stick with the bushings and just make sure that I keep an eye on wear.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:53 pm 

I am sure the supplier of the needle bearings was willing to let you go to the effort. Many pantah-based engines are running around decades later, without apparent problems. But, who knows, maybe we will all fly off into the weeds some days after a mass bushing failure. MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:32 pm 

So I have decided against the needle bearings, but while the engine is out for performance upgrades I want to install new plain bronze bearings. Where do you guys get replacement bearings from? Are the original pantah units still available? 750 sport bearings? Or can I just go to a reputable bearing dealer and he can fix me up?

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 am 

Up here in snowmobile country we're obliged to make our own which is actually not difficult. Cant be done that I know of without splitting cases which may be why the factory used to supply oversize pins, far easier to accommodate. I realise bushes is bushes but they do need line boring after installation for alignment. Pins are relatively soft so not difficult to replicate to your required dia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:41 pm 

As Fran said the bushings will need to be sized after they are installed. If you don't have excessive wear I'd leave them alone. A little side play really won't affect the handling to a noticeable degree.