DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Pantah Racer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:40 pm 

Hello,

I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and my project. My name is Dave and I will be doing some vintage racing with AHRMA this year. I found a nice but non original Ducati Pantah 500SL to race. As you can see from the pics, the paint job is not the most attractive, but I think the bike will be very fun. I live just north of Chicago but the bike was all the way in Colorado. I ended up taking the interior out of my Focus, driving 900 miles, took the Pantah apart, loaded it up in my car, and driving the 900 miles back, all in 37 hours. It was a hectic weekend. The bike now resides in my basement where I can take my time in prepping it for the track. I am doing the basic track upgrades, steel braided brake lines, brake pads, removing non essential street items, etc. I found a set of 3 spoke Alazzurra wheels that are 18x2.5 and 18x3.0 so I can fit a little bit wider set of tires. I have decided to go with the Continental classic racing tires. The bike already came with a 2-1 pipe, so I do not have to worry about that. I am also going to go with a 520 chain setup for some weight savings.

The only downside is that it is a 500 and on top of that it is an early 500 with the smaller Borgo pistons and cylinders. So I think for this year, I will just keep the engine stock and keep my eyes peeled for a 650 or 750 engine for next season, unless somebody is looking for an early 500 engine and would like to trade or buy mine.

For the other Pantah racers out there, what brake pads would you recommend? I was leaning towards the EBC HH pads. Also, what recommendations do you have for front and rear suspension. I was planning on installing progressive springs in the front and rebuilding the stock strada's in the rear. AHRMA requires an oil containment belly pan, what do most people use for this? I saw a belly pan from air tech that is supposed to fit a monster. Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: New Pantah Racer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 am 

Hello Dave, first of all I want to apologize for my English, and I would like to commend the tenacity of those who want to reach the goal established 37-hour drive, it is not a joke.

My humble advice is to begin to remove everything you do not need to compete in a circuit of motion.

Electrics, tripod, etc ... etc ...

I can guarantee you that a pantah 500 ducats, to fall and hurt themselves may be enough, thus special, first thing, I would use all the things available to begin to understand with what you will need to try your hand.

The new rims and tires, are of vital importance, as well as fix the chassis, replacing the oil in to your shock absorbers, front and rear.

Remember that the suspensions of ducats pantah, are very good to be the standard in the Italian national championships, manufacturers such as GPM, many times during the year with original forks, cleverly devised, but original.

So my advice is to optimize what you have, try the bike and then go step by step.

My mom always tells me that Rome was not built in one day, I will start by saying that I am 49 years old, but she tells me the same!

Tablets brake expect to throw them away before you see if your bike brakes discreetly, because your bike with the brake discs made of cast iron, and sintered tablets are not suitable, it takes the old tablets brake with asbestos.

He begins to remove everything you do not need, and try to put the carbs without the air filter, and muffler racig, you said that you have, so that's it.

If you need to, and I have many friends in this forum, we will tell you and we'll give you some advice.

At your disposal. Carlo from Italy. ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:49 am 

Hi Dave,

Is this going to be your first experience road racing? If so, you are in for some fun, and you will never again have to try and figure out what to do with any of your spare dollars. I'm a chassis guy so I won't go into engines, other than suggesting that a good running stock engine is all you need when starting out.

Suspension: I just finished re-doing the forks on my old BMW R90s race bike to get it back to street. I decided to go with the full Race Tech recommended "kit". Gold Valves and their straight rate springs. I was very impressed with all the tuning info and help available on their web site and over the phone. Gold Valves can be tuned a lot more than I thought. I'm sure they can offer you some good advice on rebuilding your shocks too. That being said, I'm sure Carlo knows your forks better than I do, and you can always take his advice to the bank.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Ducati/Pantah%20600m/1983

Tires: I believe Avon's are the race tire of choice for a Pantah sized bike with 18" wheels in this country. I don't think Conti's are fully available here yet, and there have been some concerns expressed about them on this forum. What ever tire you go with, be absolutely sure they are full race compound tires. AHRMA people can tell you who the good race tire sellers are.

Brake pads: We have been very impressed with Ferodo's CP1 pads on iron rotors. Can't tell if your calipers are F05 or F08, but CP1 pads are available for both. Their Platinum compound is also very good. A little less aggressive and excellent modulation. Maybe a good choice when starting out.

Belly pan: I've had good luck with any Air Tech stuff I've ever gotten. Can't remember the owner's name, but he's very helpful over the phone.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:27 pm 

Carlo and Bill,

Thanks for the responses. Yes this will be my first foray into road racing. I had always enjoyed spirited riding on my Darmah, and in 2012 I went to the Barber vintage festival. I saw all of the guys ripping around on those old vintage bikes and I knew I had to give it a try. I did a track day on my Darmah last year and had a blast. I knew I loved the handling and engine in my Darmah, so a Pantah was a logical choice, since it has the capability of doing very well in vintage superbike mid. Whereas the bevel drive 900's are very outclassed enginewise in vintage superbike heavy. I am very excited and cannot wait for the Road America event in June.

I have been told quite a few times that reliability is more valuable than high horsepower, so that is what I will focus on with the engine. As far as suspension, from everything I have read it seems like Carlo is right on the money about the stock suspension being very capable. I do have a question regarding sag. How much sag should I be shooting for with my Pantah?

The calipers on the bike are F05. I will look into the Ferodo pads.

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm 

I agree with Carlo, but those bikes in that era were notoriously under sprung. A good straight rate spring would be your best race choice, not progressive. The Gold Valves give you more tuning options is all, and could be added at any time. I'll refer you back to the Race Tech site for good set up info, under the "FAQ", "How to...", and "More" headings.

http://racetech.com/page/id/30#3

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 pm 

Hello friends, hello Bill, I unfortunately can not capture every nuance of your speeches, of course, through my fault, but I know that Bill is a great technician, I tried his bike, and I assure you that was very very good, shame about the bad weather, otherwise Bill would have been on tribune in nail-biting stress ..... because I would have seen go very fast, if it was not raining!! HAHAHA!

I do not know if it's already been said, but I wanted to say that to begin with it is important that the bike is safe, then we can start working on the lap time.

Hello Friends, Hello Bill!! What fond memories ............

Attachments:
2013-10-05-003.jpg
2013-10-05-003.jpg [ 75.68 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:59 pm 

Hello Dave. Welcome to the group. I do remember that one for sale --- how could I forget the paint job? Still, it looks like you got a good sound bike to start with. I think incrementalism is a great way to go --- if it starts, idles, runs, and stops when you want it to then you will have fun. Over time the experimentation can begin. Let us see what it looks like when you put it on the track. MikeV

Last edited by 618F1 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 am 

618F1 wrote:
Hello Dave. Welcome to the group. I do remember that one for sale --- how could I forget the paint job? Still, it looks like you got a good sound bike to start with. I think incrementalism is a great start --- if it starts, idles, runs, and stops when you want it to then you will have fun. Over time the experimentation can begin. Let us see what it looks like when you put it on the track. MikeV

well said!!!My friend MikeV, fortunately always helps me! Thanks MikeV! :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 am 

618F1 wrote:
Hello Dave. Welcome to the group. I do remember that one for sale --- how could I forget the paint job? Still, it looks like you got a good sound bike to start with. I think incrementalism is a great way to go --- if it starts, idles, runs, and stops when you want it to then you will have fun. Over time the experimentation can begin. Let us see what it looks like when you put it on the track. MikeV

I add... that he had asked for a discount for taking me the bike with these paint...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 am 

Hi Dave,
Probably your best source in the States is Ed Milich, a long time AHRMA Pantah racer, used and new parts supplier/maker, and all around good guy. He's in the San Francisco area, and he's done it all with racing Pantahs.
Bill
http://www.ducpower.com/