DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draining the FI 40mm forks; screws at the bottom
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:56 pm 

This question keeps popping up: There are three screws at the bottom; what do they do? And, how do I change fluid? So...…

The one on the bottom outside holds in a very small spring and even smaller ball that serves as a detent for one of the three rebound marks (I think it is rebound, always get confused when I read the translated shop manual); the one on the bottom inside with the long nose keeps the bronze drum with the numbers from falling out---there is a groove around the drum inside; and, the one at the top is supposed to be for (messy) draining --- if the forks were used the old-fashioned way, with the calipers at the top/front, it would be much neater. You can pull out the long screw to drain and that works fine. And, after you have added new fluid (250cc if just a refill; 280cc for complete rebuild) and reinstalled the spring cap/compression (I think) adjustment knob at the top it is very unlikely that the center mark will be on 0; the trick is to loosen the small set screw only enough to lift the cap and spin it around to 0. You do not want that cap to lift so high that the tiny detent ball under it goes rolling across the garage floor --- trust me.

Attachment:
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG [ 3.62 MiB | Viewed 4890 times ]

And, it sure is fun owning a lathe! I am going to say these are one-off factory prototypes that I picked up for a song.

Attachment:
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG [ 3.75 MiB | Viewed 4890 times ]

Post subject: Re: Draining the FI 40mm forks; screws at the bottom
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 am 

Very trick looking...

I think this virus quarantine is getting to you. If this quarantine lasts much longer your F1 will weigh about as much as a Honda 50.

Machine on.....I dont have a lathe, I have to settle for drilling holes in various objects :D
Clay