DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for servicing Forcella forks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:14 pm 

Howdy,
I am not familiar with the F1/stock Forcella forks. The forks dont leak on my bike that has been sitting for 27 years. Is that possible :-) Maybe no oil in them?? I just want to do a oil change at this point. Any quick tips on oil weight and quantity for warm climate. (or just follow stock manual recommendations)

It looks like you have to take the entire fork cap off via gripping the drillings around the cap. I guess you are suppose to have a special tool? any tips on this. If on a front stand is there much preload on the cap as you release it. And drain wise...it appears that the single screw (of the 3 screws) at the front of the fork is the drain. Not the pair of lower screws that angle downward.

Any/all tips appreciated!!

Clay

Post subject: Re: Tips for servicing Forcella forks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:51 pm 

Hi Clay, do you have a 750 F1 workshop manual? If not, go to bevelheaven.com and to the manuals index for an online copy. The forks are in section I, pages 140 to 149. Not an overwhelming amount of information, but should get you started.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm 

Look for the 5/28/2016 question about this posted in this same section by fastfrank.

There is a special wrench with a peg and a hinge on it you can use to spin the top off; I cannot remember what they are called, but they are available cheap. Kinda like hinged shock spring adjusters. The forks use 280cc of fluid if dissassembled, something less with just a draining. 10 wt is enough, or ATF. The tricky part is getting the adjusting rod back in, and aligning the numbers on the cap perfectly with the 0 or 5 --- they usually don't. Then you must remove the small set screw from the cap to pull it off and re-align the numbers. Be Careful Because A Small Ball Bearing And Spring Will Pop Out And Roll Across The Floor! Put them back once the cap is aligned.

Good luck, MikeV

Thanks flattop. MV

Last edited by 618F1 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:51 pm 

Hi Cal...
I believe this is the wrench Mike is referring to. They do come in a diameter specific size, but you'll get a little more mileage (fits more sizes) with the hinged type. And yes, make sure it's got the right sized pin. This is the only tool you should use to take the caps off, and put them back on.
Regards...
Flattop
Oh.. and few layers of black electrical tape will go a long way, to protect the black anodised finish.
Oh#2... it will be probably easier to crack them loose with the fork still in the bike(wheel and axle in place) and drive them home in the same manner.

Attachments:
pin spanner.png
pin spanner.png [ 25.88 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am 

Thanx for the tips guyz. Even the simplest maintenance items seem to be complicated. The manual is useless. And then the limited info that is provided is inaccurate. It indicates the wrong drain screw. Now I need to go buy one of those pin spanners.....this was almost a cheap and easy maintenance item.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:06 am 

These are good forks, irksome yes, but with a little patience you can learn to love them too. Try the forum search. Here's an older thread that covers a lot.
http://www.ducatittandf1.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1657&hilit=+Forcelle+Italia+

And these may still be the only fork seals available. Must order (2) for a pair.
http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Ducati/Fork/Fork-gasket-rings/Duc-Fork-seal-40mm-750-F1-with-dustcover::7363.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:51 am 

Now that is a great write-up Bill. I had forgotten about it. Thanks again, MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:25 pm 

618F1 wrote:
Now that is a great write-up Bill. I had forgotten about it. Thanks again, MikeV

Yes.....I second that, Thanx again. I had no idea that getting the right fork seals was an issue either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 am 

Posted this before but cant find old posts like Bill. Info on setting up the adjusters.
-Cranky-

Attachments:
DSCN1076.JPG
DSCN1076.JPG [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 1447 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:44 am 

Mike, those hand written spring dimensions and spring rate, are those for the OEM springs or aftermarket springs you used?
Bill