DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some schooling on total loss ignition now ITS ALIVE!
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:00 am 

Hi,
Need schooled.....I am use to having a bike with a charging system. On these total loss set ups, how long can you run the motor before it dies? I know that will depend on the battery condition and draw, but approximately.

Now a days there is better battery technology too. Whats the best set up for these, (battery type) that will get you the best/longest running endurance. Right now this bike is carrying a Yuasa XTX9-BS. That looks like an 8AH / 135 CCA.

Thanx,
Clay

Last edited by Cal on Sat May 27, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Need some schooling on total loss ignition
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:52 pm 

Probably depends on a lot variables. How long do you need to go, an 8 lap race plus warm ups and cool downs or a track day session? You'll be fine.
Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:50 pm 

Has it actually started with that battery? 135CCA? MikeV

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 pm 

What ever battery you use, it will run twice as far if the ignition is triggered from the cam pulley and not from the crank as std. This system dosesn't create a wasted spark on the alternate exhaust stroke. Then the choice of coil and resistance, coupled with duraion of current soak from the ignition unit.
I use the Ignitech TCIP4 digital progammable unit. They are infinately tuneable for any configuration and the software is easy to follow. (even I can do it)
Also loads of other options in the little magic box such as rev limiter, change light, quick shift, launch control, igniton retard and so much more I can't remember it all.
Oh, cheap as chips too.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:06 am 

On Mikes question....will the bike actually start with that small battery? I don't know yet because I haven't tried to fire it up yet. But, I know when originally built it was push start/no starter. The starter and under motor battery tray were added back in later because the push starting is such a pain. I think it will work unless the guy was starting it off of an auxillary battery and then running on the small battery?

Sports.......that Ignitech TCIP4 sounds like a very cool race set up. Thanx for response. I wont race this thing, maybe do a vintage track day or something. I would really like to have it be able to start on the electric start 1 or 2 times, run for a couple of hours and have enough power to run a rear brake light as I would like to ride it on the street a little. I should probably ditch all fancy stuff and expensive batteries trying to work with the total loss and put a charging system back in it.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 am 

Hey Cal...
Plus one for the charging system. I found changing and charging batteries got to be a real pain. Especially when you are not lucky enough to be within a hundred feet of an electrical outlet.
Regards...
Flattop

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am 

I have run a shorai battery and no charging system on my Moretti for the past 2 years.
I have a quick plug for the starter to help with battery life while fooling track days.
I can run all day without charging doing 20 minute sessions.
I intsalled a charging system for this year just so I don't have to be concerned about a genny or an outlet.
Plus2 for charging system!
Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

huit wrote:
I have run a shorai battery and no charging system on my Moretti for the past 2 years.
I have a quick plug for the starter to help with battery life while fooling track days.
I can run all day without charging doing 20 minute sessions.
I intsalled a charging system for this year just so I don't have to be concerned about a genny or an outlet.
Plus2 for charging system!
Paul

So, I was looking at the Shorai LFX18a1-BS12. 18ah 270 cca, it would fit in my tray and seems to be about the most powerful set up for under a couple of hundred. Is that what you were running? Do you think that would get me a start or 2 and a few hours run time? I might be willing to try that, but I could do the charging system for less than the cost of the battery.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:29 pm 

The little Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 in my old TT would crank and start its lightly breathed on Alazzurra engine just fine when charged.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:35 pm 

I had total loss on my F1 when I got it. I could do a days worth of running [two 20 min. practice sessions and a 10-12 lap race] on a charged 12ah lead acid battery. I charged it between sessions if an outlet was around just to be sure. I got tired of the nagging worry of the battery crapping out and fitted a charging system though. The supposed benefit of total loss [slightly less weight and potential power increase] just wasn't worth the hassle. It's not like I was competing for national titles or anything and if I really needed to go faster I could have quit drinking beer and eating like a pig.