DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need some schooling on total loss ignition
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 pm 

wdietz186 wrote:
I had total loss on my F1 when I got it. I could do a days worth of running [two 20 min. practice sessions and a 10-12 lap race] on a charged 12ah lead acid battery. I charged it between sessions if an outlet was around just to be sure. I got tired of the nagging worry of the battery crapping out and fitted a charging system though. The supposed benefit of total loss [slightly less weight and potential power increase] just wasn't worth the hassle. It's not like I was competing for national titles or anything and if I really needed to go faster I could have quit drinking beer and eating like a pig.

Ha..ha.....ha.... go fast program of rider weight loss is much cheaper than exotic metals, carbon fibre, or total loss ignitions.....nah, lets skip all those, we will make up for old robust rider with big horsepower and a good start :-)

Long Memorial weekend coming up, I should gets some garage time in and hope to make the first attempt at getting the F1 motor fired up.

Post subject: Re: Need some schooling on total loss ignition now ITS ALIVE
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:13 pm 

I got the F1 running for the first time today!! Fred Sanford set up....took my BMW tank off to feed it, stole the battery out of my Buell......yeah ha. And it not only runs, it sounds REAL healthy. I cant tell yet how many leaks etc there are at this point as I didn't run it that long, but nothing was obviously bad. I will spend some money on it now that I know the motor isn't gone.

I need petcocks, I couldn't use the stock tank to feed it cuz the petcocks are leaking out the shafts, etc. I assume those are not rebuildable, nor available. What are you using for petcocks?

Thanx,
Clay
see if this works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzSJvO0RgaY

Last edited by Cal on Sat May 27, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:29 pm 

Good for you! Your petcocks are rebuildable, you have to clean them good and get rid of ALL the crud, use a new tap seal gasket, and Teflon tape or a little Prematex thread sealant on the threads. Bevel Heaven has what parts you need, or new taps.
https://store.bevelheaven.com/Taps

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm 

I tried to take mine apart but due to the age and corrosion the packing nut wouldn't budge and I kinda destroyed it. The other one was pitted where the seal was so it wasn't usable anyway. I got a pair of taps from Bev Hev that worked fine.