DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP, Starter problem
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:06 pm 

I hope you guys dont mind me asking the following, its re: a 88 750 Sport which i have bought to keep the Laguna company.

A bit of a long story but ill keep it short, i have recently purchased the 750 Sport, i bought it with a duff battery so it wasn't running, new battery fitted but the following problem..

Ignition on, all good, starter turning over, finger off the start button and its still turning over :-( turn the ignition off and its still turning over!! i managed to disconnect the neg on the battery (Fortunately i didn't fasten the tank up) connected the neg again all OK for a while(plug caps left off)but then the same again.

Any ideas with the above? maybe the starter solenoid? or? a bit puzzled when the ignition is off is still letting the starter turn?

Hope the above makes sense, a really stressful day, i was hoping to get in in for its MOTC Tomorrow.

Thanks, Steve

Post subject: Re: HELP, Starter problem
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:22 pm 

It sounds like the solenoid is sticking. High current draw with a not optimal battery can cause the contacts in the solenoid to burn and get pitted, the pitting acts sort of like velcro holding contacts together. If it is the original it is probably a Lucas item and we all know about how reliable Lucas stuff is. Just about any Japanese bike solenoid will work in its place. You may have to adapt the trigger wire connector if you can't find one with a spade terminal.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:49 am 

wdietz186 wrote:
It sounds like the solenoid is sticking. High current draw with a not optimal battery can cause the contacts in the solenoid to burn and get pitted, the pitting acts sort of like velcro holding contacts together. If it is the original it is probably a Lucas item and we all know about how reliable Lucas stuff is. Just about any Japanese bike solenoid will work in its place. You may have to adapt the trigger wire connector if you can't find one with a spade terminal.

Thanks for the reply, Sorted.. its the same solenoid as the 748-916 etc, as luck would have it my son has his 748R parked in the garage ;-)

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:53 pm 

Since the original post, as luck would have it my solenoid got stuck! I had to bump start the bike. In the last 20 starts the solenoid has been Ok, so don't be too hasty to replace it.

Profile Personal album