DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compare Monjuich, Laguna Seca, Santa Monica
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:53 am 

Is anyone familiar with the minor differences in these three models? I'm aware of the differences in wheels and discs ( I've upgraded my Laguna to the 16" Marvic - Akront rims and full floating discs) and the aluminum tank on the Monjuich. An other differences to motor, frame, electrics or body panels?

Post subject: Re: Compare Monjuich, Laguna Seca, Santa Monica
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:27 pm 

Required reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-Belt-Drive-Two-Valve-Motorcycle-Restoration/dp/1937747115/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462724696&sr=1-6&keywords=ducati+two+valve

Post subject: Re: Compare Monjuich, Laguna Seca, Santamonica
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:09 pm 

The Laguna Seca & Santamonica both have a - "lower profile" fairing which is different to the Montjuich. I suspect that the dash/headlight mount is lower also as my my LS fairing doesn't fit onto my Montjuich - as it crushes the dash/instruments.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 909&type=3

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:01 pm 

Except for color scheme, are the body panels on the Laguna and Santa Monica the same as on the F1? I can tell through pictures that the fairing on the Montjuich is different.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:25 pm 

I can say with certainty that the windscreen, and the corresponding circle in the fairing, is about 5/8th inch wider at the back on the LS. So, those parts are not interchangeable. I am sure you have noticed the different oil cooler opening too. MikeV

Q: Are you trying to restore/rebuild one, or identify one?

Post subject: Re: Compare Monjuich, Laguna Seca, Santamonica
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:42 am 

frankfast wrote:
Except for color scheme, are the body panels on the Laguna and Santa Monica the same as on the F1? I can tell through pictures that the fairing on the Montjuich is different.

Montjuich and F1 (aka Tricolor or standard F1) both wear the same shaped fairing - easily identified by the dual slots in the front for the radiator.

The Laguna Seca and Santamonica (one word 'cos that is how Ducati spell it on the fairing of the bike) both have the lower profile single slot fairing.

The belly fairing on all four bikes is the same.

Follow the link for more pics of my old Santamonica. https://www.facebook.com/AthleticRoman- ... 898618909/

Attachment:
11070015_356710724533701_1616082488664842272_n.jpg
11070015_356710724533701_1616082488664842272_n.jpg [ 58.77 KiB | Viewed 1464 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 am 

And the frame on the Montjuich is different from the Laguna Seca/Santamonica versions. The difference is that the rear frame brackets on which the exhaust attach are "horizontal" on the Montjuich but "vertical" on the other two.
The Laguna Seca/Santamonica also wear a rear wheel plastic shroud that attaches to the swingarm, whereas the Montjuich is bare and so the swing arm does not have tabs to attach the shroud.
Only The Santamonica has braided steel brake lines.
Only the Santamonica has the black front brake calipers ( like the 851 tricolore)
Some Laguna Seca (97) came as biposto, all Santamonica were biposto and no Montjuich were biposto.
The decals on the Montjuich where different and diferently placed to the other two limited edition models.
I have seen two very low km and original LS bikes with braced rear swingarms, like on the 750 Sport.
The master cylinders on the Montjuich are round, those on the others are rectangular.
The front fender on the Montjuich is unque to that model, the LS and Santamonica share their style, which is kinda like the 750 Sport.
The original tyres were diferent on the Montjuich to the other two.
The screen was diferent on the Montjuich to the other two as is the fairing.
The original exhaust was diferent on the Montjuich to the other two.
The front forks, and fork decals,are different on the Montjuich to the other two.
The rear shock is different on the Montjuich to the other two. Different does not mean better.
I had a great LS and tried to make a Montjuich out of it but it drove me crazy. I ended up selling it, and all the parts, and kept my Montjuich. I feel now that a LS should be kept as an LS as it a fantastic bike. At most I would change the wheels to 900SL Marvic wheels (not 16 inchers) and put 320 mm floaters on it, put a verlicchi exhaust and that would be it. Still not a Montjuich but what else is?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:47 am 

Great list! And, on the LS/F3 there is an dent inside the frame for the H carb bell mouth to almost clear. Not on the F1. Montjuich? MikeV

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:36 am 

Hi Guys, thought I would jump in. Does the aluminum tank on the Monty mount like the F1a? Also is the battery and license plate mount like an f1a? The f1a frame is quite different, I didn't know if it is the same on the Monty. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:43 pm 

The aluminium tank on the Montjuich has exactly the same dimensions as the 86 F1B and LS tank and so it is very different, in both shape and method of attachment, to the 85 F1A. I posted photos of these tanks side by side somewhere on this forum. Even the red colours are different. The 350 F3 had the Montjuich Al tank for one year.
The frame of the 85 F1A is most likely equivalent to the Montjuich because the few Montjuich prototypes used 85 frames stamped with regular F1 number sequence. Years ago I was going to buy another Montjuich but stopped because it had 85 F1 numbers stamped on the frame. I recall at the time thinking it strange that the number was actually the last number for thr 85 sequence. That Montjuich had featured prominently in a bike magazine and had been described as the first Montjuich so I was expecting frame number with a M and 0001. Maybe even the mystical 001 plaque! So I thought it was a mock up; actually, no, I didn't think at all as a bit of thought would have cleared up my hestitation and I would have bought it. And that leads to another observation: Montjuichs have their own frame number sequence and their silver plaque numbering should match their frame number. Ducati matched the plaque number to the frame number again only for the 888SP2 after which the plaque number and frame numbers were random. Everyone knows the LS had no plaque but Luckys signature on the tank and the Santamonica had neither a plaque nor a signature. Also, the Santamonica had a slightly wider Marvic rear rim (5.00 X16)to the Montjuich (4.25X16).