DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Monica jetting to run on the street
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:51 pm 

I have been reading this forum for a number of years. I am trying to get my wife's Santa Monica to run on the street. Has anyone tried to jet the 40mm dellortos to achieve this. I have been in circles with carb jet and slide changes with no real success - or is a cam replacement the way to go - maybe a 900SIE cam but not sure how it would go in a carby bike - I realise that the unleaded fuel is a problem but I have a number of ducati's with 40mm Dellorto's. I have had to change jets and slides to get them running correctly on the unleaded fuel but this one has gotten the better of me.
Any suggestions welcome

Post subject: Re: Santa Monica jetting to run on the street
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:01 pm 

Peter,

FWIW, my experience with the Montjuich cams in my F1 is that trying to get the bike to idle is a futile exercise and it doesn't run cleanly under about 4,500 rpm. The bike makes very little vacuum at idle with the enormous durations. Brad Black has some info posted on his site on this issue.

As a practical matter, 900SS cams make for a much nicer, more usable and likely faster motorcycle. It is a fair amount quieter with the 900 cams as well.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Santa Monica jetting to run on the street
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:33 am 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting the Santa Monica to run right at lower revs. My Montjuich is basically the same engine spec but does have the Verlicchi "silencer" and its fine all through the rev range - ticks over about 1200 r/min when warm with only the very occasional "cough" (which does stop it). It is, admittedly, a bit flat below 5000 but is perfectly rideable below that speed. On occasions I have briefly ridden my bike with Silentium in place of Verlicchi (only for UK Vehicle Test) and it still runs fine. Best thing may be to go back to basics on the carb settings which should be:-
PHM40ND(front) - needle jet AB265;main jet 148;choke jet 60;pump jet 45;idle jet 65;slide 60/1;needle k5:
PHM40NS(rear) - needle jet AB265;main jet 150;choke jet 60;pump jet 45;idle jet 65;slide 60/1;needle k5:
Pilot airscrew try 1-1.5 full turns out : Throttle stop screws backed right off.
Things which I have found can cause rough running 1) Choke jet/passages blocked 2) Float needle hanging up (run engine then drain and measure fuel volume in float chamber - easier said than done but should be around 60ml) 3) poor synchronisation of slides 4) Accelerator pumps should be checked but really make little difference.
Hope this helps you towards a solution.