DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 17 inches wheels on a F1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:11 pm 

If fast SV650s are running a 160, it's plenty of tire for an F1. And fortunately, there's so many SVs out there you can get a wide selection of tires.

I'm due for a new rear, think I'll take Mr Palmer's advice and try a 160 on my 5.5 inch rim.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:35 pm 

Mike,
I noticed that the inner axle sliders appear to be missing in the pictures you posted. Yes? The Marvic rear I bought takes up 120mm to the chain side of the motorcycle centerline. Without the inner axle slider it's a perfect fit. I thought that the sliders might be necessary to hold the axle in place but if it hasn't been a problem, it's going to make fitting the rear wheel a lot easier.

Gene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:57 pm 

The originals (Verlicchi) come with only two outer flat sliders; big cone-shaped circular spacers were provided for this inside, and they often disappear. The stock round CM steel arms have four slider plates, with a thinner one on the rotor side. Just make the spacers you need.

On the TT900SS I had to mill 1/8-inch off the inside of both sliders --- tight it was. MikeV

Attachment:
IM007948.JPG
IM007948.JPG [ 482.07 KiB | Viewed 1370 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:26 am 

one thing that may be appropriate to mention is that the 25mm axle monster and st rear wheels are wider across the hub than the ss and earlier 17mm monster rear wheels. maybe 20mm or so?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:37 am 

To follow up on this. Spent some time at the Dunlop van at this weekend's track day. The Pirelli Superbike Pro slicks were about done after 7 or 8 track days. The Pirellis were good for me. They warm up very fast and after the first lap you could really get on them. They are not a race compound, but I did not find myself needing more traction. I don't have tire warmers. My wheels are 17 inch 3.5 front 5.5 rear magnesium and the tires were a 120/180 set.

So talking to the Dunlop guy, we looked first at the GP211, which does not come in a 180 rear, 190 was the smallest. Overall width was similar to the 180 Pirelli but it was a much taller section. No way it was going to fit in my swingarm. So the next thing to try was the Dunlop slick in a 165/55-18. Dunlop guy says they fit this on a wide variety of rim widths and all sort of different bikes, TZs, SVs, etc. So, let's give it a try on the 5.5 inch rim.

It seated on the 5.5 inch rim OK. It is much narrower than the 180 Pirelli was, sidewalls almost parallel, but the mounted profile looked OK, round and not flat like I was expecting. Mounted the matching 120 front. Starting cold pressures at 31/28. Let's go.

The tire needs to come up to temperature before you start hitting them hard. Cold tires, cold track taking it easy the first session to scrub them in a get a feel for them. By lap 5 or so was feeling OK on them and then a tight, off camber right bend, too much throttle too soon and big slide. Feel was OK, off the gas and hooked back up with no drama. Finished the session fine.

Second session, tires still had some heat in them. Modest first lap, less modest second lap, then let's go. Tire was rock solid, excellent traction. Easier, faster, more confident turn in than the Pirellis. After the session, back to the Dunlop guy. Front was fine with good even temp across surface. Rear was showing a little cold tearing of the outer 1/2-3/4 inch. He suggested -2 psi on the rear.

But that was the end of my day, found I'd lost an exhaust stud, nut and half bushings from the H cylinder.

So I'll need to wait until next month at Thunderhill to see how they perform over the course of an entire day. Also curious to see how long they last. The tread rubber is much thinner than the Pirelli slick.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:15 pm 

To give you an update concerning my search for 17 inches wheels to suit my F1 :
Fred Renz (Yoyodyne) has provided me a very good help in selecting the correct Marvic Streamline 17 inches wheels to suit my F1. Contrary to what is usually advertized on different website, Marvic will produce a 5.0 inches rear wheel for me ! That way, I will be able to install a 160/60-17 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa tire on the 5.0 inches wheel that I will get.

More than that : the front wheel that I will get will fit directly in place of my actual 2 components 16 inches Marvic / Akront without need to change the brake rotors or the calipers. At the rear, because of the modern cush drive used, I will simply have to change the sprocket.

So, I have ordered a set of Streamline wheels thru Yoyodyne. I made a down payment corresponding to 50% of the price of those wheels when ordering them. I will pay the other 50% plus the shipping cost when Fred Renz will have the wheels in hand.

Following a very positive feedback made on this Forum by another member, I think I can have confidence in Fred Renz.
More on this matter when I receive the wheels
Gilles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:59 pm 

Geoff,
I have been using the Dunlop slicks, the rear pressure that worked best for me was 25.( no warmers)
There may be some difference depending on where the tires are manufactured.
Are yours from Japan?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:49 am 

No, they are the US N-Tek slicks.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:55 pm 

Same as mine, the rear is actually made for super moto!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:09 pm 

For what it's worth, our Michelin race tire supplier has a stash of Michelin 160/60x17 Power One DOT race rears. Maybe other suppliers do too - if you ask. That's what I have on my 5" rear, and we swear by those Michelin DOT's for a TT/F1. Robbie is faster on those than on slicks. And, I can also go really slow on them.
Bill
http://www.motorace.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next