DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 17 inches wheels on a F1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:40 pm 

Hi All of you,

I use my 750F1 only on race tracks. I would like to put aside my 16 inches Marvic / Akront wheels and install 17 inches wheels in order to be able to use radial racing compound tires like Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa.

Ideally, I would install a 3.5 / 17 wheel at front with a 120/60-17 tire
and a 4.5 / 17 wheel at rear with a 160/60-17 tire

Would you please give me your advice on this matter ?

Any suggestion where to buy the wheels you will recommend ?

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: 17 inches wheels on a F1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:42 am 

750SS and 90SS/CR both ran a 3.5/4.5 set. Ebay is full of them.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:44 am 

I used 750ss on my tt1,they are fairly heavy,but look like what was used back in the day and are readily available,made by or for Brembo. Make sure to get the type with the thicker part of the spokes closer to the centre rather than the Monster style with the thin ends near the centre. They look very similar to Marvics which were used on the tt bikes,only a hell of a lump cheaper. They keep the bike looking period. As a side note,we were questioned when racing with "modern wheels",by a chap who was racing a 950 in the 750 class.!!!. However,no protest was made.!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:36 pm 

Still, it is not that easy. Most if these newer wheels have narrow hubs (105mm front), are designed for the 64/80mm hole/bolt pattern on the front, and fit shallow 320mm front and flat 245mm rear rotors. One change leads to many.........and soon it no longer looks like an F1. Maybe not even legal in your race class. And, it still will not be "cheap" with all the new parts and mods needed. I went through this years ago putting Dymags on my 850 Guzzi Lemans.

Huit recently went through something similar to build his Moretti; he finally bought the NEW Campys. And another site member (F1 owner) gave up and bought the new replicas of the Marvic Speedlines (make sure you get the RIGHT hubs/bolt patterns) to solve this problem.

MikeV

Last edited by 618F1 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:00 pm 

These are fair points,and when you budget fresh disc assemblies and bracketry it makes the later freshly made wheels look very attractive. I was lucky having a Ducati breaker near me and I got my parts reasonably priced,but but but,i know that sometime in the future I will be going along the fresh replica route,as I,m just about 70 to 80 percent happy with what I ended up with.Like most things,buy right first time,job done,happy contented feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:16 pm 

A complete R6 or F4 front end swap would be the easiest way to a modern front suspension, brakes and wheel size. Would need to bore your triple clamps, but other than that, just slide it in. Probably a better solution than the superbike front end I'm running now.

The biggest issue with the whole project is the rear. If you have a later Verlicchi swing arm, you can fit a 4.5 or 5.5 in. But then you need to deal with spacing the chain line out. Montjuich front sprocket is the easiest way, but they are tough on output shafts and I destroy a sprocket retainer every track day.

I've been told (no first hand knowledge) that you can't get a wide wheel in the original steel swing arm.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:14 pm 

As Mike has stated I have done both with my Moretti, I spent 3 days riding 18 inch wheels with good race tires and I honestly felt no difference.
I think the best is to try and find rims that were made for the bike, although costly it is so he better than trying to make something else fit.
R6 or f4 front ends make life easy!
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:56 am 

huit wrote:
As Mike has stated I have done both with my Moretti, I spent 3 days riding 18 inch wheels with good race tires and I honestly felt no difference.
I think the best is to try and find rims that were made for the bike, although costly it is so he better than trying to make something else fit.
R6 or f4 front ends make life easy!
Good luck

well said!!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 am 

I just received a new set of Marvics. The front is a bolt on proposition, using the original front end, caliper and discs. The rear is more problematic, requiring a wider swingarm, new caliper hanger and some work to the chain sliders. I haven't sorted it all out, so I can't tell you exactly how it will all fit together. If you decide to go with Marvics, feel free to contact me and I will be glad to let you know what I found out. I can tell you this much. These wheels came from Fred at Yoyodyne. Great guy - great price - I wouldn't deal with anyone else. The first set I bought came from England - charged a lot more money- sent the wrong wheels- insisted on cash - refused to make good. Never again. Marvic will do some customization - ie rim width. If you want a set of technical drawings of the standard wheels, let me know and I will email them to you. They are also available on Yoyodyne's web site. Best of luck with it.

Gene D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:53 am 

Which style Marvic? Is the rear for old style cush drive or new?

Profile Personal album