DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical problem
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:37 am 

Got an electrical problem but Im no electrician. My bikes been down a while cause of brakes and now they're fixed but there's a new problem. When I turn on the ignition the dash lights come on but when I move the kill switch to run the lights get really dim. When I move the kill switch to off after a few seconds lights get back to normal brightness. The horn beeps a little, the start button kills everything. The headlight works but is really dim. I have recharged the battery twice. I tested the kill switch and it seems to be working right. Both sides of the start button had current which I thought was wrong. Any Ideas? And is there a definitive list of parts interchangeability? I have an 88F1s.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Electrical problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:53 am 

Battery's dead.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:28 pm 

It's true, it was a brand new dry cell and it won't fully charge. I got it running but there's no spark to the verticle cylinder. I guess I'll be testing the coil next.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:40 pm 

Also, maybe your major ground point connections need a good cleaning, and all the connections at the starter relay.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:24 pm 

I checked the coil of the bad cylinder and I got 5ohms on the primary and 16k on the plug side. This seems ok based on a video I watched . I'm just going to test the good stuff too and see how it compares.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:31 pm 

Well I think I'm getting somewhere but I'm not sure I'm happy with where that is.I'm getting 4.5 out of both coils and 102.7 out of horizontal pickup and 0 out of the vertical pickup. Testing at the pugs to the cdi box. One thing, my ignition looks like the one for the Montjuch not the 750F1 as shown in the manual. I've never opened that side of the case and I think I want to make sure there isn't a broken wire some where. What's the chane it's not the pickup? I posted a link to a pic of my ignition board. Hope it works.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DKlt ... 151001.jpg

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:25 am 

I also have an '88 F1, it's correct that these have the same ignition as the Montjuich.

Unfortunately mine also has some electrical issues.
I'm planning to check all electrical connections. See if the connectors are not corroded. If so, use some sandpaper and apply some copper grease.
This should decrease voltage drops. At least it has worked fine for my classic cars in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:27 pm 

There is one very big bright spot here: If it really is your pickups (to the V cylinder) that have failed, then you will find that getting NEW or used ones as a replacement is much easier than if you had the Bosch pickups. The Kokusan pickups were used from late 1980s to late 1990s, and were in most all of the 600, 750, 900cc carb bikes (there is some difference on some 750 Sport and Paso ignitions). The used Kokusan units are for sale on eBay (used---try Ed Milich?), and NEW at your Ducati dealer. One person on eBay even sells just the individual units cheap, but that might complicate things for you if you are not very familiar with this.

GOOD LUCK if you need a good Bosch pickup set; even the NOS ones now have dried-out and crumbling wiring. The ones inside our now-running engines slowly corrode on the inside (out of sight, and while bathed in hot oil). It is only a matter of time (tick, tick, tick) when that there is a worldwide-failure for all of the Pantah-based engine---oh, the horror. These units will read good on the ohm test (around 225 or so) but still not fire at some range of RPMs (they may start and then not work properly, or barely start and then work at much higher RPMs); they just keep taunting me to try another one --- sucker. Therefore, I have recently replaced the flywheel, pickups, igniters boxes, and small wiring harness in the No. 8 Rutter/Slinn/Wynne Pantah IOM replica with a 1990s version 600 flywheel (thin and light) and Kokusan parts (pickups, ignition boxes, and small wiring loom) because every stinkin' Bosch version I have is, apparently, dead --- and all on the V cylinder!

You will now learn how to remove your exhaust, your alternator cover after detaching all wiring, and your pickup unit so you can replace it and set the proper air gap. Be prepared for oil all over the place too. You might consider buying a manual that shows how; they Haynes issue for 600-900cc will work, but some elements of the assembly are in two sections. Have fun.

MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:25 pm 

Thanks for that 618F1. I have, in fact found the pickup coils NIB
from Monroe Motors and I'm in San Francisco. It's gonna set me back about $250.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:14 pm 

i can confirm for the Kokusan system, definitively much better than the bosch items, even if I've recently replaced the bb1105 boxes with a single fully programmable Ignitech.....