DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Larger capacity oil cooler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 am 

Now that my F1 engine has been boosted with Bruce Myers high compression pistons (although reduced to 12:1 ratio) and J-Precision complete head work, I think it would be a good idea to install a larger capacity oil cooler (I want to change only the oil cooler at this moment).

Could someone advise me where to buy an oil cooler about the same size as offered in Two Wheels Classics or Sports Motorcycles kits (I would prefer an oil cooler in which usual banjo bolts (M8 X 1.0) can srew into).

Thanks

Gilles Lachance

Post subject: Re: Larger capacity oil cooler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 pm 

My oil cooler is a 916 unit, replacing the F1 cooler...
Seems to be more efficient than the old one!!!!!
Will put an oil gauge for next season....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:33 pm 

I think I found the answer to my question, but I would appreciate other members' input.

It seems that Two Wheel Classics and Sports Motorcycles offer an oil cooler made by Earl's in U.S.A. It looks like parts number 41000 : a 10 rows oil cooler with 9" core width, 3" body height and 2" body thickness. This oil cooler is sold for $94 by Earl's Performance Products.

Maybe I should have posted my question in the TT1 technical section ?

Thanks,

Gilles Lachance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:52 am 

Gilles,

The Earls oil coolers are nice pieces and work very well. For Yellow Bike I we ran a slightly larger one then the one you listed, since it was a race bike only and no headlight. One thing to keep in mind is that we ran an aluminum shroud around the cooler up to the fairing which greatly helped the oil cooler work better. I know Steve didn't use it when he prettied up the bike, but I would strongly recommend some form of shroud or duct to get all the air going thru the cooler. The other things we have done is run two oil coolers, one up in the fairing nose and the other off the horizontal exhaust valve cover.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:00 am 

To increase the volume for my Harris I've bought a Mocal which has the same dimensions for mounting as the original
Attachment:
2014 Mocal.JPG
2014 Mocal.JPG [ 620.19 KiB | Viewed 1422 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 am 

Thanks Palmer and Dick le Dog for your input.

In a message I received two days ago, Jim B. (Two Wheel Classics) gave me the dimensions of the oil cooler he offer for TT1 and TT2 ( Sports Motorcycles offer the same model). Here they are :

10 rows which means 3" height
4" core width
2" core thickness

Those dimensions correspond to the narrow oil cooler made by Earl's (although I do not pretend that Two Wheel Classics sells Earl's oil cooler)

Considering your comments, Palmer, I am a little bit surprised that Two Wheel Classics sell an oil cooler which has only a little bit more capacity than the F1's OEM cooler which has :

1 1/4" core thickness
2" core height
About 4" core width

What do you think ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 am 

Gilles,

I have run two different Earl's coolers over the years, the first was about the same size as the original and fit under the stock headlight. When I wanted to go to a bigger one, they no longer carried that width, so I had to go to their next wider one. I have a spare from Yellow Bike I, I'll measure it up tonight. I had to cut the tabs off the ends of the cooler to get it to fit inside the F1 fairing, so it is pretty large. Being that the 2 valve Ducati motor is air cooled, cool oil helps a lot. The later small case Ducati's (1999 and newer) have oil squirters cooling the bottom of the pistons which also helps.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:43 am 

Hello Gilles. Remember that Classic is providing something that fits, and works, for those who are, maybe, starting with nothing for their projects (using the small older Pantah engines in TT fairings). If he sold something much larger then the buyer would be puzzled as to why it does not fit --- as Palmer suggested it might not. And, it is only riders like Palmer who need two oil coolers [and beefier swing arms, I was told].

I have used an ST3 oil cooler and Multistrada 1000 oil lines on the TT900SS project; the stuff is bolt-on except for the cooler hangers on the top, and can be bought used in good condition.

MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 pm 

Hi Gilles
I also have high compression piston and J Precision head. I don't go on the road when the outsite temperature is more than 28 C because i am not sure but I think the motor is over heating.
So If I can fit a bigger oil cooler it would be great.
I have the original oil line and I don't want to replace it if possible.
I found the Earl's #41000 oil cooler on the Net but I am not sure what kind of fitting I should order.

Merci
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 pm 

Gilles,
The number you listed above came up with the description below
Fluid Cooler, Plate Type, Aluminum, Gray, 3 in. x 13 in. x 2 in.
41000erl.
I am using a cooler from a Ducati monster on my tt2,
it just fits inside the fairing!
Paul