DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Larger capacity oil cooler
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 pm 

Salut Gilles
I have the new cooler, it's going to be a tight fit to put it under the headlight but I think it should work fine.
Now I will need the famous caps to fit my oil lines, where did you bought those caps, in Quebec city or around Montreal.
(I am always on the road around Montreal)
I want to be sure I have the same caps, because I am very good for ordering wrong parts.

Merci
Carl

Attachments:
IMG_3959.JPG
IMG_3959.JPG [ 125.81 KiB | Viewed 950 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:09 am 

Hi Carl,

I bought those caps in Québec City for something like 2.50 $ each. I ask the shop to make the hole on the top of them (the top of the hole must be chamfered) and tap them to receive the OEM M8 X 1.0 banjo bolts. In total, I paid 41.00 $ for the caps and the work (very well made).

If you want, I can buy 2 caps and ship them to you. I can also ask the shop to prepare them for installation.

Gilles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:43 am 

Curious about this subject of big oil coolers. What oil temperatures have people been seeing at the sump or after the cooler? I know of a few built 650s that run no cooler and I noticed the factory bikes back then didn’t have big ones. This is all relative to race bikes and air cooled cylinders. I did repeated dyno pulls on a 750 (about 80rw-hp SAE) with air directed to the cylinders and not the cooler and could barely achieve 200 F at the sump.(maybe 180 F after the cooler) Now I’m thinking maybe smaller cooler?
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 pm 

I have a normal radiator paso, I mounted a digital thermometer, the output of the oil pump right out of the engine block, I have never seen the oil temperature exceeds 80 degrees in order to exercise.

Saluti Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 pm 

I am thinking that only Palmer needs these, because of his speed. I also hear he bends swingarms. Rumor Control is the source of this information. MikeV

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 pm 

Wow
Thank you Gilles, I will send you a PM tomorrow.

I never checked the oil temperature but since I have big pistons, J-Precision head and 41mm carburators the motor is very hot when it's over 27 celcius or 80 F outside, I can realy feel it on my right thigt because the belt cover is very hot, it was not like that before.
Last summer I did a 20 minutes run on the road and took a temperature reading of the front cylinder 142 celcius (288 F )
I don't know if it's ok ??
So I am going to try it with a bigger oil cooler. If it's not better I will reinstall the old oil cooler.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:30 pm 

Cranky, don't have exact temps, but with the Yellow Bike when engine development got it up past 85 SAE rwhp temperature started becoming an issue. I went through a period of oil issues which we related to temperature and I have always had issues with wrist pins and the forged pistons available. In the early days we were modifying the cases for oil squirting on the bottom of the pistons from the crank mains. The later cases (1999 and newer) already have oilers for the pistons which helps some. Not sure if the oil squirters or just the added horsepower is what caused the added heat.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:48 pm 

Here are some pics I took at the Ducati Museo last year... :ugeek:

Note the external oil lines. Is this mod something that people are doing?

Attachment:
P1010038.JPG
P1010038.JPG [ 2.61 MiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Attachment:
P1010039.JPG
P1010039.JPG [ 2.68 MiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Attachment:
P1010040.JPG
P1010040.JPG [ 2.72 MiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Attachment:
P1010042.JPG
P1010042.JPG [ 2.74 MiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:52 am 

carlf1 wrote:
Wow

I never checked the oil temperature but since I have big pistons, J-Precision head and 41mm carburators the motor is very hot when it's over 27 celcius or 80 F outside, I can realy feel it on my right thigt because the belt cover is very hot, it was not like that before.
Last summer I did a 20 minutes run on the road and took a temperature reading of the front cylinder 142 celcius (288 F )
So I am going to try it with a bigger oil cooler. If it's not better I will reinstall the old oil cooler.

Carl

Ciao Carl,
I will not teach you anything, but the carburation has ok? Overheating is also due to a pilot jet is too small, it makes the explosions in release accelerator?

The exhaust pipes are perfectly sealed?

With humility, Carlo Leoncini ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:53 am 

carlf1 wrote:
Wow

Carl

Ciao Carl,
I will not teach you anything, but the carburation has ok? Overheating is also due to a pilot jet is too small, it makes the explosions in release accelerator?

The exhaust pipes are perfectly sealed?

With humility, Carlo Leoncini ;)

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next