DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And So It Begins
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:02 pm 

While waiting for my Katana battery to charge last night I started looking at my 750 F1 recent purchase. The build number is 83 and is a Japanese market bike with 14000 km on the clock. The bike will need a good clean up and eventually I'll strip it and rebuild it. The first step was to have a walk around and look for any missing bits or obvious problems. The plan will then be to see what it will take to get running.

First thing I noticed was that the tank was half full of stale fuel. Emptied that out but the fuel taps will need a good clean. That of course will mean the carbs will need a thorough cleaning as well which should be straight forward, noticed you can get Dellorto PHF full rebuild kits which is good. I'll disconnect all the cables and give them a lube up with oil as well. Took the tank off to have a good look and is very clean inside which is nice (very stinky though my god stale fuel reeks! - my garage will take a week to return to normal). Lots of surface corrosion and dirt and dust all over so she'll come out for a wash this weekend. I noticed that the spark plugs were missing which is interesting.... The guy I bought it from said it was cause when it stopped turning over he took them out to check the cylinders for damage? Apparently he believed the starter has jammed so either it will be goo dnews and easy fix or........
So off to get a pair of NGK BPR7HS this weekend and contemplate what may be on that front.

I'll be taking the fairing bottom cover off for a closer look as well. Given it has sat for so long I'll replace the belts before starting it and also change the oil and filter.

I could hear the clutch plates moving when I pulled the clutch lever so at least they aren't stuck so that's a start.

At some stage I'll need to source a battery as that was missing. I will hook up a spare I have to check circuits and stuff. At the moment the indicators are not mounted but they are in a box of assorted bits that came with the bike. The loom itself looks in very good condition without the usual cuts hacks and additions that you see on old bikes.

Also missing was the toe piece for the rear brake pedal. Won't be needing that for a while I guess but I have a look for one. I may just do with a bolt and toe rubber (like on my Guzzi Le Mans).

The last mystery was the tank. The front of the tank and frame have a lip for a strap to hold the front of the tank. This feature is not in the parts book so that is a mystery, not sure if anyone else has this on their bike?

I'll post some pictures after the weekends activity. :D

Post subject: Re: And So It Begins
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am 

pkay wrote:
The last mystery was the tank. The front of the tank and frame have a lip for a strap to hold the front of the tank. This feature is not in the parts book so that is a mystery, not sure if anyone else has this on their bike?
I suspect that you have a 1985 750 F1 which has an aluminium tank - which has the tab. The steel tanks and the Montjuich aluminium tank are bolted to the frame at the front.

Follow the link to see the 4 different tanks that were fitted to the F1 Click Me ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:56 am 

Aaaah he said. Thanks for that. I was looking at lots of different photos and saw that all the tanks had flush caps as well. The aluminium tank would explain why it isn't full of rust!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:18 am 

This thread continues here: ;) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931&p=21439#p21439

Profile Personal album