DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Leak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:30 pm 

I've developed an oil leak behind the countershaft sprocket on my Laguna. Is the oil seal outboard of the cases or do the cases need to be split to install a new seal? If it is outboard can it be removed from the outside? I can't tell if I'm looking at a bearing or a seal behind the sprocket. Also the retainer plate for the sprocket has been sheared off and there was nothing holding the sprocket in place. Also a source for these parts are necessary. The shop manual is of no use. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Oil Leak
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 am 

The seal looks to be outboard of the cases and like the original bevel drive bikes it should be able to be removed without splitting the cases. Any other info on the replacement would be appreciated. I've sourced the parts through Bevelheaven.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:07 pm 

I drilled a pilot hole in the seal in order to insert a self-tapping screw to pull the old seal out. The seal spun right out upon drilling. It must have been loose due to age which caused the leakage. Hopefully the new seal can be installed as readily as the old seal was removed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:33 pm 

Hello Frank. Glad you solved your problem; you answered yourself so quickly we had no time to respond. I imagine some others will remember this problem/solution in the future. MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 pm 

I rode the bike to get an inspection and had no idea that the retainer holding the sprocket was sheared off. I can't believe that the sprocket didn't fly off the shaft causing major damage and maybe throwing me off the bike. Everybody having this setup should check theirs to make sure the plate is in good order and the bolts holding it on are tight.

Mike, by the way, the muffler sounds great. It's just what I wanted. Thanks.