DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motjuic Wheels to my 86 F1
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 am 

My 86 F1 already has Montjuic cams , pipe and floating rear rotor. So I have sourced a set of 16" two piece Marvics to continue with the Montjuic parts upgrade. Whats needed to complete my wheel swap as far as spacers, chain width ect to bolt these onto my F1? This is a bike that is occasionlly ridden on the street and to bike nights... Also would like a correct clean Montjuic swingarm...

Post subject: Re: Motjuic Wheels to my 86 F1
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:55 am 

Don't do it. I owned two F1's at the same time. One with stock wheels and one with Montjuich wheels with Pirelli MP7 tires. The bike with stock wheels handled better and was more fun to ride (lighter steering). The wide 16" wheels just ruin the handling of the bike, and now you can't get good tires for them (just the Golden Tyres). You can get much better tires, Bridgestone BT-45 and others for the stock wheels.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:27 pm 

I used these, and I must say I do not go wrong.

Attachments:
immagine 056.jpg
immagine 056.jpg [ 177.75 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]
immagine 059.jpg
immagine 059.jpg [ 146.72 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]
immagine 058.jpg
immagine 058.jpg [ 147.92 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]
immagine 060.jpg
immagine 060.jpg [ 166.61 KiB | Viewed 1583 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Montjuich Wheels to my 86 F1
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:07 pm 

I use the same tyre (rebranded as Shinko) I do not go wrong either ;)

I have tested them on on a cold tight Broadford track. 'scrubbed in cautiously before I pushed them to test their grip. In my opinion - They are good!

However Carlo's opinion - on account that he has continually competitively raced for the past 30 years is the opinion of an expert ;) Go Carlo!

Since the Shinkos became available I have met plenty of naysayers who won't accept that a Chinese or Korean tyre (I don't actually know where these tyres are made) can be as good as a European tyre. It might be true, but unless you want to follow the fate of the British motorcycle industry - you had better test them before you disregard them. :shock:

My response to the naysayers has been that if the technology of these tyres is just 10 years behind the European tyres, then they are 20 years ahead of what was available in 1984/5 :lol:

It is fair to say that a fatter tyre is slower to steer at lower speeds than a skinny tyre. I can confirm this is the case with my 2005 Supersport with 17" wheels. :cry:

Everything is compromise. :?

Last edited by athleticroman on Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:42 pm 

ducatifever wrote:
So I have sourced a set of 16" two piece Marvics...
Hi DF, do you have a local race track that you can record your lap times at? It would be good to get some comparisons of your 16/18" lap times and compare them with your 16/16" wheel lap times.

PS - how much do a set of two piece Marvics cost nowadays?

Cheers,

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Montjuich Wheels to my 86 F1
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:43 am 

athleticroman wrote:
I use the same tyre (rebranded as Shinko) I do not go wrong either ;)

I have tested them on on a cold tight Broadford track. 'scrubbed in cautiously before I pushed them to test their grip. In my opinion - They are good!

However Carlo's opinion - on account that he has continually competitively raced for the past 30 years is the opinion of an expert ;) Go Carlo!

Since the Shinkos became available I have met plenty of naysayers who won't accept that a Chinese or Korean tyre (I don't actually know where these tyres are made) can be as good as a European tyre. It might be true, but unless you want to follow the fate of the British motorcycle industry - you had better test them before you disregard them. :shock:

My response to the naysayers has been that if the technology of these tyres is just 10 years behind the European tyres, then they are 20 years ahead of what was available in 1984/5 :lol:

It is fair to say that a fatter tyre is slower to steer at lower speeds than a skinny tyre. I can confirm this is the case with my 2005 Supersport with 17" wheels. :cry:

Everything is compromise. :?

Your speech, which I shared, we have to have a compromise, I use these tires on the road, I with my Montjuic, I go there just for the road, the front tire is a bit off, and for this reason it tends to enlarge optimal trajectory, I only changed a little my guide adapting myself to this reality, I do not go very fast on the road, but I tested the tires many times, rubbing his knee to the ground very easily, and rubbing their bottoms on the ground, the bike is stable and does jOKES road holding, I do not want to throw my ground ducats, because I have paid a lot of money. This is my humble opinion. :lol: :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

ducatifever wrote:
Whats needed to complete my wheel swap as far as spacers, chain width ect to bolt these onto my F1? Also would like a correct clean Montjuich swingarm...
The standard F1 18" rear wheel is 3.5 inches wide. Your Marvic wheel will be 4.25 inches wide if it is a Montjuich/Santamonica wheel, else 4.5" wide if it is from an 851.

I suspect that the Marvic wheel/tyre "may" be too wide to fit within the standard steel swingarm??

PS, I have been looking at F1 road tests from "back in the day" and the Laguna Seca and Santamonica were highly praised for their fine handling. ;) And GOOD LOOKS :)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:41 am 

I have replaced the standard wheels on my 86 F1 with 16" Marvic wheels. An alloy swingarm was already fitted when I bought the F1 but I still needed the following mods:
Narrower 520 chain and rear sprocket
Offset 520 front sprocket
Machine a new spacer for LH side of rear axle
Machine down cush drive carrier
Montjuich front guard

The Marvic wheels were from an early 851 - 3.5" front and 5.0" rear.
Attachment:
wheels.JPG
wheels.JPG [ 73.73 KiB | Viewed 1477 times ]

Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 am 

F1Fan wrote:
I have replaced the standard wheels on my 86 F1 with 16" Marvic wheels. An alloy swingarm was already fitted when I bought the F1 but I still needed the following mods:
Narrower 520 chain and rear sprocket
Offset 520 front sprocket
Machine a new spacer for LH side of rear axle
Machine down cush drive carrier
Montjuich front guard

The Marvic wheels were from an early 851 - 3.5" front and 5.0" rear.
Attachment:
wheels.JPG

Bill

It appears that I have purchased the same wheel set. I believe these wheels came from a 400....and one of my books claims they are the same as the Montjuic....apparently not. This rear is 5" wide. Now I am wondering if they are from a 400 or an 851. Either way, its nice to see that it can be made to fit. I do however still have the stock steel swinger on my bike. At a glance, its looks to have enough room. The stocker gets narrower towards the top, but the 16 will be lower , where the swinger is at a wider point.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:20 am 

The 2 piece 16" Marvics from the 750 F1 Santamonica and Monjuich and the 1988 851 have the three spoke centers fixed to the end of the central 'ridge' of the rim.

The Marvic 2 piece 16" wheels on the 1989 400ss were fixed in the center of that ridge.
(As were the 17" versions)

cheers

Sean

Attachments:
17%22 2 piece Marvics.jpeg
17%22 2 piece Marvics.jpeg [ 42.95 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
1989 400ss r wheel.jpeg
1989 400ss r wheel.jpeg [ 30.21 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
1988 851 r wheel.jpeg
1988 851 r wheel.jpeg [ 39.34 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]