DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trying to turn my F3 into an F1
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 am 

peterbike wrote:
I plan to run 18in wheels.
That sounds like unchartered territory to me. Talk of steering head angle is too technical for me so I can only offer my humble observations as a non technical forum contributor ;) Others may beg to differ and I will defer to their greater experience.

Here is what I do know;
The "trio" - Montjuich/Laguna Seca/Santamonica (which have identical chassis geometry to the F3) all run 16" wheels front and rear and all handle very well :D Hey Carlo!

Paso wheels are the same as Laguna Seca wheels and are as cheap as chips to come by - less than a set of Japanese 17" and they look like they are supposed to be there.

So, if you want your F3 to handle exactly the same as some of the best handling bikes ever made, then 16" wheels will offer this for you at an affordable price.

peterbike wrote:
I don't want any understeering tendencies.
I suspect that you have possibly read or been told that 16" wheels may not handle as effectively as other sized wheels, hence manufacturers don't use them today. The fact remains that any of the "trio" are exceptional handling motorcycles (including the 16" shod Bimota db1) and the measure of any other bike in their class in their day. :!: Understeer has never been an issue for me on my 750 F1 or more recently on my Montjuich with newly available Shinko tyres. Though understeer was an issue on my 2000 year model KTM 640 Duke when I replaced the front tyre away from the factory OEM tyre. The Shinkos worked predictably and confidently during my first outing on the Montjuich at this Easter's BBB.

BTW, has anyone ever wondered what it is that makes the "trio" look so much more handsome than the standard 750 F1?
It is the 16" wheels 8-)

8-) Which bike below looks more like a Hot Rod? 8-) Which bike do you like the look of most, Bike 1,2 or 3?
Attachment:
File comment: Bike 1
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG [ 709.12 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Bike 2
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG [ 653.28 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

The LS below was once a good looking bike until some hack put 17" wheels on it :cry:
Attachment:
File comment: Bike 3
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG [ 515.62 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

Hope the leg mends soon ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 am 

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
No I think the 16in wheels look like a mistake. As Falloon said : the 16in wheels were a fashion statement & most were raced with 18in wheels.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:53 am 

I agree, never cared for the 16" wheel look. The front wheel/fender combo on my F1B always bugged me. What 18" wheels do you have for it?
Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:11 am 

Style wise I prefer a matching 16/16 over the 16/18 combination. Apart from the bike below I have never seen an F1 with an 18/18 combination. Has anyone else?

Attachment:
Story14568-Picture19856-L-273x177.jpg
Story14568-Picture19856-L-273x177.jpg [ 9.57 KiB | Viewed 1152 times ]

Last edited by athleticroman on Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:20 am 

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

If you don't like the look of them, 'don't think they handle well, why did you buy one?

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Apologies I don't mean to offend. But that really tickled my funny bone just then.

This is a good subject to discuss ;) Thank you for joining in!

Cheers,
Mike

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:10 am 

Well, the bike did have a couple of other very redeeming qualities...and have never ever said it didn't handle. I guess the wheel/fender bugged me the most when it came time to change tires.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 am 

Tyres have definitely been a problem to obtain! What is your issue with the fender?

So far, so good with the 16" Shinkos, though I must admit that I was taking things cautiously on my first outing on the Monty. Especially after my 20 yo mate binned his boss' GSXR 1100 in the first 20 seconds he was on it! :lol: :lol: He didn't even make the apex of the first corner of first lap of the first outing of the weekend! Poor bugger, 'rode 18 hours in a van for a 20 sec. ride and a broken arm! :oops:

Ahhh youth is wasted on the young!

Last edited by athleticroman on Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:31 am 

I have a friend who has a complete F1b engine for sale at AU$5,900. Price sounds reasonable as it is only third the cost of a complete bike.

Let me know if you are interested.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:15 pm 

I ran 18 inch marvics front and rear on mine for a while. It makes the F1 handle much better than the 16 inch front. You do need to go to a TT style front fender as the original won't clear an 18 inch tire. I only took the 18s off because getting a modern tire for the 3.5 inch rear wheel was becoming impossible. A 3 inch rear would have been no problem.

Also, you will see some interference with the fairing at full turning angles, but that was only an issue for me when pushing it around the garage.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 am 

Mike, I think that photo you posted of the F1 with 18in wheels looks fantastic ! Although set up for a very short person.
Larger wheels roll over nasty road surface better - not fall in holes/ upset handling.
Also I have a lead on a motor, but thanks anyway.
Geoff, I have 2 sets of wheels. 1. is the 5 spoke off a MHR. 2. is the 6 spoke (6pairs with a small 25mm? gap between) off a MHR as well.
I prefer the second pair, but I got the 5 spoke first - then found the 6 spoke.
Of course these are both going to be heavy, but they will do to start with.
Finding campagnolo's will probably be like looking for hens teeth, but Geoff do you still have the marvics ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next