DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marzocchi M1BB fork
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm 

Carlo wrote:
huub wrote:
why dont you get and pair of showa cartridges and fit them to your forks?
keeps the looks , and you end up with modern tuneable suspension

this conversion is what i do to my guzzi's

I fully agree!!!!

Oh, would be perfect....please explain
What type of cartriges, what modifications, I don't think it´s totally plug and play, I'm really interested.. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 am 

I still do not have posed the problem, but if this was my problem, I would try a pair of inner cartridges, which have about the technical data and the weight of a 140 kg bike, and then I'd have to take it off my internal fork, and engage in with the new pump with the spring, and you're done. I BELIEVE .....

Attachments:
cartuccia-lineare-factory-andreani-honda-cbr-600-rr-05-06.jpg
cartuccia-lineare-factory-andreani-honda-cbr-600-rr-05-06.jpg [ 46.72 KiB | Viewed 848 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 pm 

I will try and comment. M1R forks came in a few versions and for various bikes. They can be very different inside. The early 851/DB1 forks were more suited for race track work having a little over 100 mm of travel and shorter overall lenght. The Paso 750 /906/907 forks were longer and had longer travel with more street oriented valving. Most of these also had cheaper plastic upper guide bushings. My advise is find the earlier forks and adapt them to the application. They will work very well for an old fork. The later paso type are good candidates for adapting cartriges but will require some special tooling to update. Then you will have almost a modern front end. A good suspension place should be able to do the work but it will be expensive $$$ I just did the work on a set for my TT1 plus had special triple clamps made with the 195mm centers to fit the narrow TT1 fairing.

-Cranky-

Attachments:
P1010968.JPG
P1010968.JPG [ 4.17 MiB | Viewed 831 times ]
P1010438.JPG
P1010438.JPG [ 2.07 MiB | Viewed 831 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:22 am 

Nice bit of info Cranky - that's what I love about this forum; the years of accumulated knowledge that everyone is willing to share.
The early 851/DB1 forks you mention: do you think these would be the same on the Santamonica (an maybe other F1 variants) also? I do remember reading somewhere that the forks had 100mm less travel after negative feedback from the riders with the standard forks - apparently they were not great for the track work.

Clinton

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:49 am 

CrankyRoller wrote:
I will try and comment. M1R forks came in a few versions and for various bikes. They can be very different inside. The early 851/DB1 forks were more suited for race track work having a little over 100 mm of travel and shorter overall lenght. The Paso 750 /906/907 forks were longer and had longer travel with more street oriented valving. Most of these also had cheaper plastic upper guide bushings. My advise is find the earlier forks and adapt them to the application. They will work very well for an old fork. The later paso type are good candidates for adapting cartriges but will require some special tooling to update. Then you will have almost a modern front end. A good suspension place should be able to do the work but it will be expensive $$$ I just did the work on a set for my TT1 plus had special triple clamps made with the 195mm centers to fit the narrow TT1 fairing.

-Cranky-

Te best Cranky!!!I think my biggest problem at the moment, it is my ignorance in speaking English, but I'm organizing.

I wanted to say what my friend Cranky, he said.

Not specifically all the solutions discovered by him, but that we, in order to make these changes, we need to make substantial changes within the old fork, and adapt new components.

All this, we can not do it, only with a snap of the fingers.

The time that I have written all this, is comparable to a complete restoration of a TT1.

PUFF PUFF ...... ..... :lol:

I love you, people I need you... CRANKY LEONCINI!! :D

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:23 pm 

Hi Phillip
only saw your mail today as I don't go onto this site often.
I run M1BB on my 750 sport which I race here in NZ (pictures else where on this site) and when I 1st started I thought the fork worked okay. but over time as you start going quicker you start to realise it's limitations. so I also started looking for something better but needs to have the same look. M1Rs are 1st choice but very hard to find over here. eventually found a company Ricor, that makes an emulator that fits the M1BB fork. They call them intiminators. Have since fitted them, set the fork up as they suggest etc. After a few laps felt very different but i think half of that is the switch from a road fork feel to a race fork setting feel which as you probably know is quite different. It definitely is an improvement and probably worthwhile but not the big improvement I was hoping for. In fact after a few meeting you go perhaps that 1 sec quicker and harder onto the brakes etc. then this set up starts to behave like it did before the change!! Could also mean I need to make some more set up changes but not sure what.
I would also be very interested in this Showa cartridge, which one fits?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:23 am 

mustang505 wrote:
Hi Phillip
only saw your mail today as I don't go onto this site often.
I run M1BB on my 750 sport which I race here in NZ (pictures else where on this site) and when I 1st started I thought the fork worked okay. but over time as you start going quicker you start to realise it's limitations. so I also started looking for something better but needs to have the same look. M1Rs are 1st choice but very hard to find over here. eventually found a company Ricor, that makes an emulator that fits the M1BB fork. They call them intiminators. Have since fitted them, set the fork up as they suggest etc. After a few laps felt very different but i think half of that is the switch from a road fork feel to a race fork setting feel which as you probably know is quite different. It definitely is an improvement and probably worthwhile but not the big improvement I was hoping for. In fact after a few meeting you go perhaps that 1 sec quicker and harder onto the brakes etc. then this set up starts to behave like it did before the change!! Could also mean I need to make some more set up changes but not sure what.
I would also be very interested in this Showa cartridge, which one fits?

we had the same sensations, with "dribbling" especially under hard braking ( is "dribbling" correct in english, which means hard and quick movements up and down?)
I'm waiting for a pair of YSS valves to try little improvement, but cartridges would be better, I think

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:20 pm 

Hi Philippe
in English motorcycle speak it's called "chatter" or sometimes "shudder".

cheers Clive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 am 

merci beaucoup, Clive!!! :D