DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems fitting front wheel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:54 am 

I'm having some problems with the front wheel on my F1; when fitted with all the spacers, speedo drive, etc. it looks like the front axle does not protrude enough for the nut to fit all the way on (the nyloc part is not contacting the threads). In addition, the front guard has a gap between the forks of about 5 mm per side. I'm using the original triples so they cant be the problem, and the wheel is centred perfectly between the forks. Can anyone offer any suggestions? The parts book does show some spacers (distance piece) of some kind used between the forks & the front guard, but there weren't any fitted when I pulled it apart.

Edit: It appears that the spacer I have that goes between the RH fork leg & speedo drive may be too wide. I bought a new speedo drive unit & the parts book shows that it comes with a washer of some thickness, but I have no way of knowing how thick this should be & I didn't get one with the drive - can anyone help?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Problems fitting front wheel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:38 pm 

I would think that spacer is your problem. The axle has a machined shoulder that will bottom out on any spacer between the fork leg and the wheel hub. If it bottoms out too soon it will not allow the axle to protrude enough for the nut and washer to fit properly. Use a thinner washer/spacer to keep the wheel centered and to allow the axle to poke out enough on the other side. Sorry if this sounds confusing but it should be an easy fix. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:29 am 

Thanks Lou - you're right, I removed the spacer in question & it solved the problem. I have ordered a new spacer from Bevel Heaven.

On another note, I cant fit the tacho drive to the horizontal head; the outer cam bearing protrudes into the drive area. I've had it apart & measured everything & all I can come up with is that the after market bearing that I have must be too wide. Is anyone aware of this problem?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 am 

Back to the fender.....when I had a stock fender on my F1 I used thick bronze washers to take up the 3-to-4 mm space; the fender is not wide enough to fit perfectly, and it will pull itself out of shape if installed flush to the forks.

It does not seem that the outer cam bearing could fit in that far, since it butts up against the tach gear to keep everything tight, unless the tach worm gear is too narrow. Where did that part come from?

MikeV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:18 pm 

Hi Mike.
I think I worked out the problem. I was installing the bearings as shown in the parts diagram, which I believe is incorrect. The diagram shows the inner cam bearing, followed by the support bearing then the drive. It makes more sense that it should be the inner cam bearing, followed by the drive then the support bearing. Does this sound right?
It was 2 years ago when I pulled it all down & I didnt think I'd need photos of the top end.
And thanks for the info on the fender - looks like I need to find some suitable spacers, although I would like to know what was used by the factory at the time: does anyone have any photo's of their original set up that shows the spacers?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 pm 

Your right; the parts manual has it wrong! Glad you figured it out.

Neither of my F1s had spacers, just fenders warped at the holes.

MikeV