DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valve Seats
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:52 am 

I would like to buy a set of set of valve seat cutters to do the heads on my F1. I'm looking at the Neway Cutters as they seem like good quality gear. Has anyone had any experience with these & would you be able to tell me which are the correct sizes for the Pantah heads?

Thanks,
Clinton

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Valve Seats
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 pm 

I have a set and have used them with much sucess over the years.They are very high quality and easy to use. It does take some patience and you have to make sure the pilots are an accurate fit in the guides.They come in oversizes [I can't remember the exact increments] to compensate for used or off sized guides. I'd give you the sizes but I lent my set to Donnie at DucPond about 5yrs. ago and usually go over to borrow them back when I need them. They are sized in inches and the bits are adjustable so you can get them to fit as needed. The only problem I've had with them is on some seats the guide sits up enough to keep the cutter from hitting the seat and that was fixed by moving the hex drive part up in the cutter.
This is mostly on the 60deg. tool that goes pretty deep into the port.
The only down side is they aren't cheap and if you don't use them too often it may make more sense to farm the job out.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:20 am 

Thanks. I've just purchased the Ducati kit that they offer. I figure that I'll be using these more & more in the future, and with the prices of services here in West Oz these days, it works out cheaper in the long run for me.
Clinton

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:46 pm 

I thought I'd post up my findings on the Neway Ducati Valve Seat Cutter Kit that I purchased. It's probably worth mentioning that I am a qualified mechanic of over 30 years experience & have done a lot of cylinder head work over the years so I have a good understanding of how to cut valve seats & face valves. Firstly, the kit arrived in great time - thanks Neway. After opening the kit I found the plastic container to be a bit of overkill, as it is a lot bigger than needed, but would be handy if you were to add to the kit (it's a little generic & the items don't fit all that well). After dutifully reading the manual supplied I got to work & was very impressed with the quality of the cutting gear. They cut very smoothly & you need to be careful of how much pressure you use as they will destroy the seats in no time if not careful. All in all it took me a little over an hour to have all 4 seats cut perfectly. I'm very impressed with this kit & would recommend it to anyone looking at going down this road themselves. If looked after I believe that this kit is a lifetime investment with little required maintenance apart from cleaning & storing correctly.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 am 

Next you will be tempted by the valve face cutter,a really simple and clever design.