DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the track, finally
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:33 pm 

After many years of ownership, I've finally gotten my F1 out on the track where it belongs. Over the last 3 years this bike has gone through several changes to get it to where it is today which based on its recent track outing, is a reliable and capable track day bike.

Fork is 916, wheel is Marchesini Mag, rotors 900SL iron floaters. Still need a fender
Swingarm is later, wide, square brace verlicchi, wheel is Marvic mag for 851 superbike, original F1 rear rotor. Works Performance shock with ride height adjustment.
Montjuich "muffler"
I pulled the Montjuich cams in favor of belt 900ss cams on factory adjustable pulleys and new round tooth belts.

Thanks to Ian at Gowanloch's, Phil at Road and Race, Ed Milich at any of his various domain names, Steve at Bevel Heaven, several ebay sellers with parts that were honestly represented and the fellow whose name I don't recall who traded Verlicchi swingarms with me.

This bike belongs on the track. Now I need to get some bodywork from Airtech so I can put the original stuff away. Also, as my original fuel tank is in good condition, I would very much like a fiberglass tank if anyone knows of a source. I know Gary Palmer has a mold...

Attachments:
BSA9050-L.jpg
BSA9050-L.jpg [ 169.75 KiB | Viewed 2019 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: On the track, finally
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm 

Looks nice, is the fork not a little bit short, it looks so low on the front side?

Jarno

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm 

Hello, I'm Carlo, your bike is very beautiful, I do endurance races with a bike like that, I do not want to teach anything, but my friend Lou, rightly said that the bike is very low in front, but I would think that the 'rear shock absorber is too long wheelbase, and he can cause the problem that when expedite, the swing arm rear tends to open up even more, since it has a few degrees past alignment with the ground, then, in turn, does not work the rear shock absorber, since the transmission chain pulling forward, does open the swingarm ascillante, pushing the upward motion, and making the hydraulic rear suspension useless.

I tried to say has a very complicated thing for my terrible English. Sorry but I do not want to teach anyone anything, it's just my passion for DUCATI that makes me speak. Ciao Dall'Italia. Carlo

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm 

Check your messages for a PM about a Palmer tank. MikeV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:17 pm 

Yes, the 916 fork is quite a bit shorter than the 40mm FI, something like 2 inches. In reality, the swingarm angle is not as bad as it appears in the photo.

The fork is off a 916, length is 27-1/2inches. Triple clamps are belt 900SS with about 30mm offset. I measured the Forcelle Italia as 29-5/8 inch length. So yes I am low in front.

Using my cheap protractor, with the top of the fork 5mm above the top of the clamp, fork rake is 24 degrees. Swingarm angle is 12.5 degrees which is with the shock length set to the middle of its adjsutment. I haven't calculated trail yet. With this setup, I had no stability concerns. What I did notice was significant stand-up on the brakes, which I did not expect with the reduced rake. The caveat is that I was riding on a very smooth track.

I'm open to any and all input on geometry. I may make a gull wing triple clamp to extend the front, or look at a fork extension like Ed Milich makes if I need to get the front ride height up. With the shock length at its minimum, I can get swingarm angle down to about 11 degrees, with the current fork length.

Profile Personal album