Post subject: Using modern Primary gears and Oil Pump on older engine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:31 pm 

Attachment:
g1.JPG
g1.JPG [ 4 MiB | Viewed 2513 times ]

Attachment:
g2.JPG
g2.JPG [ 3.95 MiB | Viewed 2513 times ]

A few days ago Cranky mentioned using a modern oil pump with the pressure relief valve. This winter I installed a set similar to these in my F1. You need a modern 59-tooth big gear, and a modern 32-tooth small gear with a 25-tooth oil pump gear on the back side. You should find an oil pump with a 40-tooth gear on it; the latter can be found both with and without the relief valve. The other newer combo is the 53-tooth oil pump with the 34-tooth primary backside/oil pump gear. Be sure the small primary gear you get is for the tapered fit, not the splined version as in my photo (I have a specific crank for that); I used tapered version on the F1.

A low-mile set like this can be put together off ebay for less than $150 now --- apparently there are a lot of used/newer Ducatis for sale that remain unsold at asking price, or a lot of crashing going on. I will not tell you what I paid for a Vee Two set like this about 10 years ago; and, later, I found that the oil pump gear did not match the small primary gear! Fortunately, a modern one will, so the set has life.

My 2-valve Haynes manual states that some of the later 900 engine came with both pressure relief valves in place; both in the case and on the pump. So, I guess we can have two. What a relief. Now, on the latest engines, they all are on the pump.

MikeV

PS: You do not need that small bush in the photo for the tapered versions. And if you want an even-thinner oil pump gear, with bigger holes, many of the small engines have these.

3/19/2017: Thanks for the added info Brad. I will have to look at that next time.

Attachment:
g3.JPG
g3.JPG [ 3.66 MiB | Viewed 2506 times ]

Last edited by 618F1 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Using modern Primary gears and Oil Pump on older engine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 am 

the oil pump drive ratio changed for 2001 my, and the pump spins a lot faster and builds a lot more pressure at lower rpm. the pump changed to the incorporated pressure relief valve in 1999 my i believe.

splined gear/crank is testastretta except 848.

also for 2001 the pick up gallery in the cases was made larger, so the pump inlet should be larger. i usually find the pump output is larger than the case entry though, so i open it up with a chamfering bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:53 am 

Hey Mike...
Are there any interference issues with using the modern oil pump in the small case engines?
Regards...
Flattop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 pm 

Yes:

In the very earliest pantah cases, wet clutch, there was no indentation inside, or bump outside, on the right side of the case at about 2 o'clock above the primary gear---very close to the timing mark. Those used the small helical gear sets. So, the modern straight-cut gears will not instantly fit inside!

This can be quickly remedied with a dremel tool! 5 minutes, tops.

With a bigger clutch basket you may also find some small clearance issues inside the cover. And, getting oil into the filler on the very top of the cover becomes challenging---the basket surface is right there! Plus, you will need to trim the filler plug. No problem with versions with the filler at the front.

For the 750 and up engines these are "bolt-ons".

MikeV