DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And so it begins
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 pm 

I pulled all the fairings off the F1 on the weekend and gave the bike a good wash. Also allowed me to inventory what is missing and what will need replacing.

First thing I noticed was that the oil cooler was not mounted on anything. There was a stray bracket that came with the bike that looks like the go and I think I can work out from the relative position of the mount lugs on the front of the frame, the air scoop on the fairing and where the cooler is sitting about how it should mount.

The second thing I need to work out is (and this is pretty major) is a source for the fairing mount screws. All of mine are missing or corroded. Can I ask, these were black on the F1 correct? Does anyone have a good source? I'll try the usual suspects anyway.

The next challenge will be turn signals. I have three that the seller claimed were for the bike but they seem to be missing bits and I can't work out how they mount. The manual isn't much of a help. Were the indicators used on any other bike? Should I give up now and just find some aftermarket ones that will sort of work ('80's Yamaha seem to bear a reasonable resemblance).

I'll stick some photos up when I get them off the camera. Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: And so it begins
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 am 

The oil cooler hangs from two rubber O-rings that hook over brackets that are mounted to the bolts that secure the headlight. Both the brackets which are made from aluminum and the O-rings break over time. I have seen new O-rings sell for obscene prices on ebay, $112 USD each, but recently Ian Gowaloch sold a pair for $20 AUS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-750-F1-O ... 7675.l2557

Knowing Ian, he probably has more. I would contact him if you need them.

Ducati welded the headlight/cooler brackets directly to the oil cooler on the next model after the F1, the 1989-90 750 Sport, and I believe that this is a direct replacement for an F1 cooler, eliminating the O-ring breakage problem. I have purchased a used 750 Sport oil cooler for my F1, but have not had a chance to fit it yet.

The original black fairing screws have been unavailable for some time now and also command high prices on ebay, but you might try Ian to see if he has these as well. There are some other Ducati parts suppliers that sell replacements, but I have yet to see any that are exact duplicates of the originals.

The turn signals mount directly to the fiberglass front fairing and tail section. They are still available from Gowanloch Ducati (different from Ian Gowanloch, although he may also have some as well):
http://ducati-gowanloch.com/catalog/067 ... -2535.html

Good luck with your bike!
Regards,
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:31 am 

Thanks Brian
You may be interested to know that the oil cooler mount ring is the same part number used to hold down the back of the 900MHR fuel tank. Does Ian G sell his stuff through the web or by referral or some other method?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:14 am 

Here are some pics as promised - first post is as bought

Attachments:
2$_57.jpg
2$_57.jpg [ 470.98 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
$_571.jpg
$_571.jpg [ 309.71 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg [ 531.48 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:17 am 

Then after my strip and wash.

The plastics are in surprisingly good condition as you can see from the first series of pics. The wiring loom looks pretty healthy too as does the tank. The carbs will need a strip and clean. The real mystery will be what the inside of the engine is like.......

Attachments:
750F1 stripped.JPG
750F1 stripped.JPG [ 80.34 KiB | Viewed 2275 times ]
750 F1 rim damage.JPG
750 F1 rim damage.JPG [ 65.01 KiB | Viewed 2275 times ]
750F1 no fairings.JPG
750F1 no fairings.JPG [ 74.12 KiB | Viewed 2275 times ]
750 F1 clean.JPG
750 F1 clean.JPG [ 82.29 KiB | Viewed 2275 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 am 

pkay wrote:
Does Ian G sell his stuff through the web or by referral or some other method?

Give Ian a phone call, he enjoys a chat :) Tell him AthleticRoman sent you ;) He will know you are in with good company!

Tel: 61-2-6946 2626
E-mail: iangowanloch@bigpond.com

Cheers
MikeA

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 am 

As MikeA said, the best way to contact Ian is by phone. He doesn't always respond to emails.

You can see where the original turn signals mounted on your fairing and seat tail section. There are two holes at each mounting point, a small one for the locating pin on the signal, and a larger hole for the mounting stud, which is hollow and has the wires passing through it.

With the value of these bikes ever increasing, I would recommend installing the original turn signals from Gowanloch. They are not that much more than aftermarket signals, and will add value to your bike. They also have been getting harder to find, as they are no longer available from Ducati. So once Gowanlochs stock of signals is gone, there will be no more. I have not found any other supplier that still has the originals in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:32 am 

From your photos, it looks like the bike is original and complete. It looks like you just need to do a cosmetic restoration and you will have a very nice bike.

I have never seen a bike that has both a side stand and centerstand installed at the same time from the factory. Someone probably added the side stand on at a later date. If you put good tires on it and ride it in the twisties with enthusiasm, the center stand grounds pretty easily, so I would recommend removing it if you ride with verve.

The center stand does come in handy for servicing the bike, but it must be one of the hardest bikes I have ever owned getting it up on the stand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 pm 

I had another look at the bike the other night and I discovered where the previous oil cooler mount rings had gone. When I was cleaning the fairing I noticed what looked like a rubber cushion stuck to the air intake for the oil cooler. Hmmmmm that wasn't a persihed rubber cushion but the remanants of the oil cooler mount rings. Lifes small mysteries huh?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 pm 

What are your plans, a concourse restoration or a hot rod? :P

Profile Personal album