DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I sell as a complete bike or part out?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:18 pm 

First time poster.

I have an 88 F1 S that I I really should restore, but I'm just not up for it. I've raced it and found out that I'm slow, and I crash too much, so racing is out. Riding on the street here in Miami is suicide. I was doing everything right and got hit head on by an SUV (hit and run), luckily I got away eseentially unscathed and the bike just had cosmetic damage. So riding on the street is also out for me.

So what do you suggest? Sell as an entire bike, restoration project, or part it out? I would like to avoid going through the hassle of parting it out but if I can get significantly more for it in parts than as a whole, I guess I''ll do that.

Bike is all original but I added a 2 in one exhaust from an F1 B, I still have the original exhaust, and a set of race glass. Motor and transmission were in good shape but I haven't started it in years although it has been kept under a tarp in a car port the whole time. It definitely needs a full resto of the frame and the glass to put it back in shape. The insurance company gave me a certificate of destruction title, but I've read that in Florida you can get a title if you show that the bike was substantially rebuilt, but I don't know the details of that.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Should I sell as a complete bike or part out?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:15 am 

Sorry to read of your troubles. Good for you giving racing a try! Perhaps just ride at your own comfortable slow pace on the race track rather than "race". There is no shame in having fun, even if that fun happens at half the speed as the next slowest rider on the track. So keep your bike and go have some fun with it, if you still enjoy riding that is? :D

Else,
I am sure we would all like you to keep her as a complete bike rather than part her out. With that in mind post some pics and let us all know here when you put her up for auction on ebay.

Good luck!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:29 am 

Is this the one you are speaking of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371078968603?ss ... 1436.l2648

If not, it is certainly worth watching to see what happens to it. The same local market.

Interesting to hear about riding in Miami. I hope Steve's buyer of the TT1, destined for Miami, does not read this.

MikeV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:28 pm 

618F1 wrote:
Is this the one you are speaking of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371078968603?ss ... 1436.l2648

If not, it is certainly worth watching to see what happens to it. The same local market.

Interesting to hear about riding in Miami. I hope Steve's buyer of the TT1, destined for Miami, does not read this.

MikeV

Thanks, but thats not mine. I wish it were! Mine is in much rougher condition. And that appears to be an F1 B, which I think is more desireable than my F1S.

Riding in Miami stinks, its completely flat, all grid streets with no curves. The freeway on ramps are about the only high speed twisties we have. However, if you want to cruise, its great. Cruise down to South Beach on Saturdays and Sundays in the afternoon and watch the parade of bikes and smoking hot girls.

We do have two tracks, Homestead and PBIR, formerly Moroso, close by. Both are fun and challenging with a big racer community.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:51 pm 

Well, I got the bike out from under the tarp today and the motor turns right over, not seized after all these years, a good sign. I just took the spark plugs out, sprayed some WD40 into the bores, put it in 5th and turned the wheel by hand and it turned right over. Then, I put the plugs back in and turned it over and it definitely has compression.

Next, I'm going to get a new battery, change the oil and try to start her up. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:17 am 

gday F1 Miami, I would like more info on your bike please PM me thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:21 pm 

please pm me interested in complete race bike thanks