DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Rotor Wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 am 

Need help to replace a crashed and busted small floating rear Brembo rotor, very similar to the one in the photo. I've been looking hard for one without any luck.

I believe the part number is/was: 08.47MQ.23

O.D. = 230mm

Mounting Pilot Dia. = 60mm

Bolt Circle Dia. = 80mm

Zero Offset

(6) M8 Mounting Holes and (6) Std. Buttons

Carrier O.D. = 130mm

There may even be a non-floating or one piece version of this rotor out there that we would be interested in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 612.96 KiB | Viewed 1623 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rear Rotor Wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am 

Ciao Bill,I think that type of disc brake are on the list of Mario Sassi, hold racing spare parts, or maybe he has something similar.

If you find you can not have your disc brake, maybe I could replicate it.

You do your interest, but if you're hopeless, I will try to help you.

At your disposal, Carlo Leoncini.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 pm 

Thanks Carlo, I was keeping you in mind if it was necessary to make one. The problem with that though, is yours would be the prettiest part on the whole bike, and other stuff would have to be upgraded to keep up.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 pm 

Hey Bill,

I had that type of disc mounted on my winterbike : a Honda XR125 with 17" wheels.
The guy who sold it was a cross dealer and said the disc was of a Husqvarna cross.
A search through the Husq list didn't find anything of 230 mm, only 240 mm (just like the one I fitted).
All the other dimension are the same.
The disc I used (up front) broke when making stoppies, remains are fitted on the wall in my working space.

If the outer diameter of 240 doesn't bother, You could look into the off-road shops for a front of a 125 of approx 1988.
Later the discs became larger.

joseph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 pm 

pantah_good wrote:
Thanks Carlo, I was keeping you in mind if it was necessary to make one. The problem with that though, is yours would be the prettiest part on the whole bike, and other stuff would have to be upgraded to keep up.
Bill

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are always very good to me! Ciao Bill!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 pm 

That's great info Joseph, thank you, I will investigate the Husqvarna route. Does your broken rotor look like this? Why the hell do we save crashed and blown up parts, and even give them a place honor displaying them?? Those blades are scary thin! On ours, in four places at the breaks, you could see where older corrosion was spreading from unseen cracks between some of the lightening holes in the blade. That rotor had had a hard previous life. It came off the Adamo/Leoni 851. My theory is, that when the bike went down on the right side, the rear brake lever got jammed on, and the rotor couldn't take the sudden hard brake application. The rotor in the first picture is a combination of the crashed carrier, and a 240mm dia blade from a rotor I picked up somewhere (?), but its carrier had a 64mm mounting pilot dia. The crashed carrier has some deformed button cut outs, but it's probably useable. Next time I go over to Robbies', I'll mount everything back up, with that rotor combination, and see if a 240 dia blade will fit o.k. in the caliper. If not, I could turn down the o.d. of the blade to 230mm, or what ever would fit. But, that would be a last resort (short of Carlo) and would be best to save that one as a spare. One thing for sure, any blade that goes back on, WILL be crack checked!
Bill

Attachments:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 494.66 KiB | Viewed 1571 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:31 am 

I used the frontbrake HARD (had to with the traffic in centre of Antwerpen).
This happened while hitting the front brake hard to avoid some cars that hit eachother at a trafficlight.
The back came up and suddenly went down again. Since I didn't notice any speed difference and still gripping the brake lever harder and harder, decided to brake hard with the rear and get up on the sidewalk, onto a (deserted) terras knocking over some chairs and tables.
When the owner of the cafe came out to see what happened, I was still gripping the lever hard (it had one piece of the disc firmly).
The other two pieces I managed to get from under the two collided cars.
Didn't bother to check for cracks, decided NOT to use such skinny discs any more (at least up front).

Attachments:
Brombe.jpg
Brombe.jpg [ 129.77 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:23 pm 

I will try to say my concept without being presumptuous.

The design of the track in cast iron, and the low number of floating pawls , makes it very vulnerable to the resistance of the brake disc.

The lightening which are placed between the floating berths , are too broad and large, and come in too deep , creating a weak point of rupture.

I do not want to teach anything , but I've worked a lot on my disc brakes, and I see that the design of the brake is designed to last a very short time, but as all production components from competition , are meant to be replaced very often.

I lost many nights before trade my first disc brake.

If I was selling tanks and fairings , the risk is that the petrol tank verses , but if a disc brake fails, a person can even die.

If I had built the kind of disc brake, I would have assembled the disc brake with floating pawls 10 , avoiding the large circular holes , lightening

All this talk just to talk and not to teach anything to anyone.

Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 am 

Carlo,

You are right, these discs were meant to be used on 125cc off-road bikes, and were just 4-5 mm thick.
Even the 260 floater on my 650 Elefant is that thin and I changed it for a fixed disc of a Pantah, just to be safe.

You are doing a very nice job, making those discs, so You don't need to apologize.

ciao,
joseph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 am 

ducadini wrote:
Carlo,

You are right, these discs were meant to be used on 125cc off-road bikes, and were just 4-5 mm thick.
Even the 260 floater on my 650 Elefant is that thin and I changed it for a fixed disc of a Pantah, just to be safe.

You are doing a very nice job, making those discs, so You don't need to apologize.

ciao,
joseph

luckily I managed to understand the meaning of my speech.

Thank you!

Profile Personal album