DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEEDED! 1 Bosch pickup, screws, backing plate for Pantah
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:42 pm 

I am in the process of putting my very original 1981 Pantah 500 back on the road. I bought it last Thanksgiving not running. I got it running the other day, however it was not running well. I checked timing and found that at idle the horizontal was at full advance while the vertical was back where it should be. Upon removing the left engine cover I found that a very ham-fisted mechanic had been in there. A botched repair was made to replace the wires from the horizontal pickup while the verticle pickup had been completely replaced with a unit that looks like it came from a monster or something.

So I need a Bosch pickup, and its corresponding mounting screws and the backing plate that holds everything in place on the big plate that holds both pickups. Please respond to the thread or send me a pm.

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: NEEDED! 1 Bosch pickup, screws, backing plate for Panta
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 pm 

Dave. Please understand if others to not rush to help you. Those Bosch pickups have become rather scarce (even the NOS ones have deteriorated while in their packages), and many Pantahs and F1s suffer this malady. It may be, in the long run, that we will all have to convert to the Kokusan parts (flywheels, pickups, igniter boxes), or find some aftermarket part such as the versions offered out of Europe. I am sure many will offer some advice and leads. MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:02 pm 

Mike,

I understand....however, if you never ask no one will ever offer. I have no problems fixing the bosch pickups. I have already fixed the ones in my race pantah and my darmah. This bike on the other hand does not even have two bosch units that need fixing. The previous guy was just mixing and matching and the two different units do not line up timing wise and I really do not want to turn the timing plate into swiss cheese trying to move the one oddball unit in an effort to get the two pickups 90 degrees apart. I have found a set in another country, but was hoping to find something a little closer to home first. Will an allazzurra unit just bolt right in? I know the ally unit has different electrical connectors but that is easily changed.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:14 am 

Dave, have you checked with Ed Milich?
http://www.ducpower.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:56 am 

I believe all the Pantah-Alazurra-F1 Bosch units are the same. The pickups from the Guzzi 500-600s Monzas etal of the 1980s are the same, and so are some Laverdas, but they are not covered with a thick molded cover, and are not mounted on a plate. Sometimes they can be found.

Question, Dave: Did this bike actually run at all with two different pickups? I know the Kukusan plate does not work because it places the pickups about 7mm back (counter-clockwise), and that gets into conflict with a bolt boss inside the side case. And I have been told the Bosch igniters will not read the impulses from Kukusan pickups. Re-reading your first post I think you explained it well enough. Amazing it ran at all.

Thank you,
MikeV

Here is a backing plate cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUCATI-500-600- ... 27d6f574f3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 pm 

I could most likely be coerced into pulling a set off one of my spare motors. Give me a yell. Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 am 

618F1 wrote:
Dave. Please understand if others to not rush to help you. Those Bosch pickups have become rather scarce (even the NOS ones have deteriorated while in their packages), and many Pantahs and F1s suffer this malady. It may be, in the long run, that we will all have to convert to the Kokusan parts (flywheels, pickups, igniter boxes), or find some aftermarket part such as the versions offered out of Europe. I am sure many will offer some advice and leads. MikeV

True Mike, makes time had some sets of pick-ups bosch in its original bag and they disintegrated just move them.. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 am 

You can have one, look and tell something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:28 am 

Sorry, I just found a set of kokusan :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 am 

Mike,

It did run....NOT very well. The oddball pickup would only fire intermittently at idle and would advance very erratically. The Bosch igniter was not happy. I think I have a line on a complete timing plate and pickup assembly. I will start a new thread in the Pantah section. This bike is really nice, nothing like the purple nightmare I got for a racebike. By the way, the purple has been cover by a bright red.

Dave