DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: M16? Coming soon... HERE!!
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:02 am 

Carlo wrote:
if you want, I could ask it to my friend Rino Caracchi. (NCR)

;)

Ciao Carlo, what does Mr Caracchi say? :?: ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:39 am 

I'll tell you a story.

a gentleman walks down the street, because he had to go to the country, to do some shopping season, in his journey is a farmer, who tells him: -
Could you buy a whistle for my son? Sure, says the Lord ..... and walks again.

Made a couple of miles, is another farmer, who tells him: -

Good day sir, can buy a whistle for my son down to the country?, Wait a minute, I give him the money ..... Sir, with confident tone, replied that his son will surely blow the whistle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just ask this Rino! I am back from a race very late yesterday.

VIVA L'Italia!!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 pm 

The whole story / legend regarding Ducati and NCR is part of the wonderful "romance" of racing. During the late 70's and into the mid 80's I visited Ducati quite a lot. During 1978, apart from seeing a part built rolling chassis at NCR's workshop I saw nothing of Mr Hailwoods 1978 F1. However I saw it being assembled in the Ducati Experemental department. I saw the engines being built by Giuliano Pedretti and tested on their dynometer. Dependment on what you read or believe Giuliano Pedretti built Mr H's engines for 1978 Isle of Man TT. Him and Franco Farne were sent to the Isle of Man TT by Ducati to look after Mr H's machine.

During the TT1 and TT2 years 81 / 82/ 83/ 84/ and part of 1985 I only ever saw the factory machines being built in the experemental department at Ducati, Dr Engineer Fabio Taglioni, Giulaino Pedretti, Franco Farne and One or Two more mechanics were developing and building these wonderfull machines. Tony Rutters TT1 and TT2 machines had absolutly nothing to do with NCR, however I have read in some books that they were NCR machines. The factory supplied Tony and I with a TT2 for the 1985 TT ( that he won ), I do not think that there was a NCR sticker on it.

NCR made some really lovely parts, World class components and I knew Rino Carichi and Rino Neporti, I visited the NCR workshops on a number of occasions to buy parts from them for our machines and for sale from our workshop back in the UK. I always saw bikes being built there, but their bikes. I have no doubt that NCR were totaly envolved with the 1970's bevel endurance racers during a time ( one of the times ) of deep non official racing politics at Ducati.

As I have said Ducati / NCR is the stuff of folk law, romance and legend, a lot has been written in books by authors from around the globe, some of it is fact, some of it is wrong. At the moment I am trying to write a factual story of what I consider and remember from the Mr H 1978 and 1979 years, it differs some what from the official stories.

Hello Carlo !

Pat Slinn

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:58 pm 

pat slinn wrote:
The whole story / legend regarding Ducati and NCR is part of the wonderful "romance" of racing. During the late 70's and into the mid 80's I visited Ducati quite a lot. During 1978, apart from seeing a part built rolling chassis at NCR's workshop I saw nothing of Mr Hailwoods 1978 F1. However I saw it being assembled in the Ducati Experemental department. I saw the engines being built by Giuliano Pedretti and tested on their dynometer. Dependment on what you read or believe Giuliano Pedretti built Mr H's engines for 1978 Isle of Man TT. Him and Franco Farne were sent to the Isle of Man TT by Ducati to look after Mr H's machine.

During the TT1 and TT2 years 81 / 82/ 83/ 84/ and part of 1985 I only ever saw the factory machines being built in the experemental department at Ducati, Dr Engineer Fabio Taglioni, Giulaino Pedretti, Franco Farne and One or Two more mechanics were developing and building these wonderfull machines. Tony Rutters TT1 and TT2 machines had absolutly nothing to do with NCR, however I have read in some books that they were NCR machines. The factory supplied Tony and I with a TT2 for the 1985 TT ( that he won ), I do not think that there was a NCR sticker on it.

NCR made some really lovely parts, World class components and I knew Rino Carichi and Rino Neporti, I visited the NCR workshops on a number of occasions to buy parts from them for our machines and for sale from our workshop back in the UK. I always saw bikes being built there, but their bikes. I have no doubt that NCR were totaly envolved with the 1970's bevel endurance racers during a time ( one of the times ) of deep non official racing politics at Ducati.

As I have said Ducati / NCR is the stuff of folk law, romance and legend, a lot has been written in books by authors from around the globe, some of it is fact, some of it is wrong. At the moment I am trying to write a factual story of what I consider and remember from the Mr H 1978 and 1979 years, it differs some what from the official stories.

Hello Carlo !

Pat Slinn

Hello Pat, I think your story is what really happened.

I hope my translation of the story of the whistle, has not been misunderstood in an offensive manner, I just wanted to make you all smile.

Ciao Pat!!! Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:51 pm 

I have created a new thread for this here: TT&F1 Forum Link to Moreparts Ducati
pat slinn wrote:
At the moment I am trying to write a factual story of what I consider and remember from the Mr H 1978 and 1979 years, it differs some what from the official stories.

Hi Pat, it may be a relevant chapter in your book to include some details of Mr H's racing in Australia.

Legend leaves the "impression" that the 1978 TT was the first time Mike Hailwood ever competitively swung his leg over a V-Twin Ducati, when in fact he was competing (for fun) in the top class of racing in Australia (and NZ?) during 1977/8 on a '76? Ducati 750 SS.

Attachment:
File comment: Mike's Aussie Bike
117.jpg
117.jpg [ 2.85 MiB | Viewed 2300 times ]

Last edited by athleticroman on Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 am 

Hi Mike, Thank you for replying with that information. Yes we knew that MH was was racing a Ducati in Australia with Jim Scaysbrook, this was a lead up to the 1978 IOM TT. During September 1977 at the Manx GP in the IOM Mike sneaked out during Manx GP practice on a Yamaha OW31 on the pretence of doing some "on bike" filming for a TV company. It was s'posed to be completly under cover, but was organized through the TT organizers at Mikes and Ted McCauleys ( Mikes manager and Mr 10% ! ) asking. Mike needed to know if he still had it !. I need all the information I can get. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:59 am 

pat slinn wrote:
I need all the information I can get. Thank you.
Hi Pat, it is great to get the insider info direct from someone who was actually there back in the day! :P

Click the link below in RED to jump to the new thread which has more links to photos and stories :D

Click here -----> TT&F1 Forum Link to Moreparts Ducati

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:34 am 

athleticroman wrote:
Carlo wrote:
if you want, I could ask it to my friend Rino Caracchi. (NCR)

;)

Ciao Carlo, what does Mr Caracchi say? :?: ;)

Ciao ., I spoke with my friend Rino Caracchi, he told me that the engine blocks of montiujch F1, were assembled in the workshops ducats.

Saluti Carlo. ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:14 pm 

customheadf1750 wrote:
He said the guys at Murayama Japan said the first 50 had engines were put together by NCR and after that they were assembled in the Ducati factory.

Thanks Carlo,

I would say then that this Myth is officially BUSTED :oops:
Carlo wrote:
Ciao ., I spoke with my friend Rino Caracchi, he told me that the engine blocks of montiujch F1, were assembled in the workshops ducats.

Saluti Carlo. ;)

Attachments:
__157.jpg
__157.jpg [ 23.52 KiB | Viewed 2248 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:23 pm 

athleticroman wrote:
customheadf1750 wrote:
He said the guys at Murayama Japan said the first 50 had engines were put together by NCR and after that they were assembled in the Ducati factory.

Thanks Carlo,

I would say then that this Myth is officially BUSTED :oops:
Carlo wrote:

Saluti Carlo. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile Personal album