DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: she lives
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:02 am 

Nicely said Alan, and you have built a beautiful bike.
Bill
p.s. Are the tires BT-45's?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:43 pm 

Yes Bill they are BT45s its about the only thing I can get that will fit a 16 inch rim here I am trying to get some Avons but the importer doesn't see enough call for them so every time I want them its about 6 month wait I do also have an old set of Michelin slicks witch I could use for display purposes but its a bit of a headache to change them. If any one else has a tyre suggestion I would love to here it there are other guys here that would be interested as well??? Thank you for the kind words to Bill :)
Regards Alan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm 

Hello, your bike is truly made ​​like God intended, every detail is done with care, really nice.

I would like to ask a question, I completely agree to make a bike that reflects its origins, but since the tt2 1982 was equipped with a 18 inch front wheel, because all mounted on 16-inch?

I tried to run it on track with the 16-inch wheel, but the 18 inch for my humble opinion is much more driveable and efficient, and the tires are very easy and yummy to compete on the track.

I do not want to take up space in your beautiful publication, but I want you to do with tires that I will attend to compionato Italian and Italian championship trophy of the mountain trail.

I state that in Italy you have to run with the 18 rear and 16-18 front, but 16 is definitely not used.

ciao dall'italia. Carlo.

Attachments:
immagine 175.jpg
immagine 175.jpg [ 5.47 MiB | Viewed 3625 times ]
immagine 173.jpg
immagine 173.jpg [ 99.06 KiB | Viewed 3625 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 am 

Hi Carlo
Thankyou for your compliments they mean a lot coming from you!!! Your bikes are all truly inspirational

But with regards to the tyre issue I am not sure what you are trying to say but I think maybe you are saying I should try an 18" front wheel?
Yes tyres are easier to get for them. Having said that you may look closely at the front fork tubes an see that they are high in the triple clamp, this is because we have installed Pantah for tubes so that the front has a little more adjustment and when they were racing the other bike in the picture at Isle of Man they found that the bike handled beautifully and so this is why we stayed with the 16" front wheel. Maybe I have it wrong I don't know? and please don't think you are taking up space your comments are always welcome. :D I think maybe you have a choice witch tyre you run and maybe the 18" is more popular because better tyres are available I hope that this is what you are trying to say.
Kind Regards Alan

Attachments:
20130525_162951.jpg
20130525_162951.jpg [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 3613 times ]
20140303_074905.jpg
20140303_074905.jpg [ 2.04 MiB | Viewed 3613 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am 

You are a very kind and humble, you are to understand my question and I understand your answer.

I have a tt2 original of 1982, in which Mario Sakamoto (Japanese pilot, but resident in Italy since she was very small) has won several races, I asked him what he thought of the 16-inch tires, he replied that was much more difficult to drive and that he preferred the 18-inch tire.

He told me THAT was a bit of a fashion moment to mount this wheel smaller one on the front.

I drove my moretti with the 16-inch wheel ....... I prefer the 18!

mA THIS IS MY HUMBLE OPINION.

I would love to be in your garage and see your work going forward.

Are you a good person. Thank you. Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 am 

But, if one is trying to build a nice replica, good original 18-inch FRONT Campys seem to have disappeared. Even Carlo knows the rears are rather scarce now. This No. 2 bike looks like a nice 1983 version to me, and I'll bet the list of "correct" parts for the 1982 and 1983 versions was not that perfect. Finally, back in the day some riders liked the 16s, and some the 18s. MikeV

I admit, I "have a dog in the fight". When I build my TT2 it will have the 16/18 Campy combo. Since I am not Troy Bayliss I will never know the difference.

Last edited by 618F1 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm 

We're there ever two identical TT's for more than 10 minutes? I think you have a beautiful set of wheels there, and I'll guess they didn't just fall into your lap and that you feel very lucky to have them. They look great! I'll also guess that you are not going to take that gorgeous bike out and race it hard. Your BT-45's would be fine for a relaxed track day. I have a set on my '80 900ss, on 2.5" and 3.5" wire wheels that I built for it. I took it to a track day, and Bruce Meyers said I shouldn't go below 30 psi, either end, because of the tubes. I ran it that way, and had a lot of fun with it, just took it a little easy in the corners. Those same tires got pushed pretty good in the North Carolina mountains also, so I think you made a good choice for tires. If your wheels are tubeless you could experiment more with tire pressure. Again, congratulations on a very nice build.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 pm 

Hi Carlo
You are most welcome to join me in my workshop any time you are in the area :lol: :lol: :lol:
and I do like to think that I am a good person.
with your moretti maybe you could try the 16" wheel but drop the forks through a bit until you get the feeling you like it does work and many riders tried this in the UK with good results and this is why the longer fork tubes so they don't fall out the bottom of the top triple clamp. I look forward to hearing how it goes? and by the way your opinion may be humble but most respected.

Hi Mike
You are dead right it is an 83 model and that witch mine is based on and I will go into that later but yes 18" are very hard to find and I don't have one. I built the bike based on the 83 model but have not been able to find a set of the aluminium forks as per the 83 model so I used the magnesium until the right ones come along. the differences between the two are subtle just looking at Carlos bike and the 83 I have here witch has been owned buy the same person since new and has raced in England The Isle of Man New Zealand and Australia. I am no Bayliss either so I have no hesitation in saying that the bike will be better than the rider :lol: :lol: :lol: I would also like to say at this point the core parts of my bike are original parts no replicas so things like frame triple clamps wheels forks rear shock Brakes bars rear brake hanger is even a factory original!!! so I am very lucky in that regard. well I hope you build goes well and if I can help I would be happy to try. But just for your information I did an exercise over the weekend and using replica parts available on the net and various other places I know of to build this bike in this country would cost around seventy thousand dollars but this figure does include about 150 man hours at $100.00 per hour this is the current rate here from some places this is a ball park figure but a good place to start.

Hi Bill
Thanks for your compliment. I was very lucky in that I had a very good batch of parts to start with and the wheels etc were included and I love the look with the sixteen inch very fashionable :lol: my intent was to race it but now I think a track day will see me satisfied with these tires and its to hard to replace the parts if I trowel the thing :oops: so we will may look to something else for the race days???

so thanks again for you kind words and this will be my next project to bring my pantah back to original and pristine condition but may have a break for a bit till the tt2 is sorted?

Attachments:
Alan Duke.jpg
Alan Duke.jpg [ 90.38 KiB | Viewed 3578 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm 

The only reason that thing wheelied was because too much weight was attached to the back! Give me a break! MikeV

Last edited by 618F1 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:34 am 

Please give me more credit than that the reason it is able to wheelie like that is because it has a very hot 750 motor in it!!
but the weight on the back did help to balance it a bit ??? oh and the pick was taken in 1987.
Thanks Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next