All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TT1 at Ghost motorcycles in 90's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:48 pm 

Congratulations Lou!
Can’t wait to see and hear about the history of your new Tt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 am 

Good score Lou !!
Chris's 450 has a RT head or someone has fitted a RT decompressor.
So much easier to start. Best thing I did to mine.

Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 am 

Also, what is the best way to tell a real factory TT1 / TT2 ?

graeme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am 

Thanks Paul! Hi Graeme, good to hear from you. Yes, I noticed that compression release and thought the same thing! That's a great question, what is a real TT1/TT2. Some TT2's had numbers, others didn't. TT1's even less. The best way is probably history, not always the easiest thing to find out. When was it bought, Some say NCR built all the TT1's and a lot of what people think are real TT1's were kitted TT2's. Even the factory racers. If you look at what would be considered a 'catalog' TT1, it should have an NCR dry clutch, 16/18 wider Marvics or Campy's, with the QR rear wheel, different exhaust than the TT2, still a two into one but routed differently, Obviously the bodywork is different, a battery tray on the frame versus the battery in the fiberglass seat of the TT2. Most all TT2's had the Marzo 35mm front end with F05 calipers and 280mm rotors, the TT1's, which very few were built could have 35,38, 41.7mm forks with F08 calipers and 280mm rotors, even some with P432 calipers. A few factory racers had RGB 500 Suzuki 40mm forks. Reno told me Cagiva modified 3 sets that were in the States. They all seem to have the Pulsar rear shock, same electrical panel, Verlicchi clutch lever without the mirror boss cast in (TT1), plastic Verlicchi throttle without switches, some people switched to the throttle with the cutoff switch as it is required here in the states when raced. Engine internals are also a big thing. Sadly a lot of these original motors were blown up. Some early bikes had sand cast cases, usually the factory bikes, but I believe they went to production cases later on. I have the original set of sand cast cases for my Adamo TT2 in the garage, blown up and rewelded. If you look at the Walter Villa bike that was on display at Assen you can see the welded cases by the bottom pulley! I've read they only made the TT1 in 1983, but NCR had one at the 1985 Milan bike show and the bike I just purchased may have been built in 1986! Sorry that I've gone on so long, I guess what I'm trying to say is that finding out as much as you can about the bikes history should lead you back to NCR or the Ducati factory. As well as components used and a bunch of small things I'll take pictures of and post them. My red and silver TT1 is buried in the back corner of the garage, I will take it out and try to show some comparisons with the 'new' TT1 I just bought. The some of it's parts and it's history, that is the best way I've come up with. I am sure others have there own thoughts. Lou

Last edited by ducttf1 on Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:00 pm 

In addition to what I wrote, engine internals were usually lightened and polished. Straight cut gears for the primaries. Lightened flywheel and smaller rotor and stator. Yes with a charging system. Polished stock rods and crank, polished and lightened rockers. NCR 7 cams on the TT1, 'P' cams on the TT2's. Wet clutch with lightened and polished basket and drilled straight cut primary gears, some with inlet and outlet ports put in for oil cooler. the NCR dry clutch had the inlet and outlet cast in. Oil feed to the heads coming from the oil pressure switch port. Bigger valves, ported heads, some had return lines to the crank case from the valve covers. Very few bikes had the magnesium dry clutch, hydraulic housing and cover, also magnesium. Pat Slinn said maybe 6 or so were made. 36mm to 42.5mm Dellorto/Malossi carbs. Fiberglass fuel tanks with big dual outlet petcock, some with side site windows. A few variations in tanks, including the fuel caps and endurance style tank. The list can probably be added to. Join in guys! Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 pm 

Hello Lou,

Thank you for your explanation, much appreciated.

Regards
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 pm 

Yeah, a lot of interesting comments in there Lou. So, it looks like someone doing a TT1 replica has a bit more choices on the "correct" parts? I certainly have noticed that based on those that have been for sale over the past 10 or 20 years. MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm 

Unlike some other bikes I've been involved with, this was a relatively easy task to find out the history of this TT1! With the bike came the bill of sale stating that Jerry Dean, purchased the bike from D. McDonald in 1996. I called my buddy Sonny Defeo whose family owned Ghost Motorcycles. Asked him if he knew D. McDonald and he said they were still friendly. I was excited! Turns out, at first he didn't remember it! Sonny showed him a picture and it helped his memory. He recalled he bought the bike from an Allen 'Sheffler' or something from Connecticut. He took the bike to the Bridgehampton racetrack in Long Island. Took it around for a lap and decided it was too fast for him to keep. I racked my brain and Cranky's to remember a Sheffler. The bike came with two plastic bins of parts and such. While looking through it I found a plastic bag with some half rings and an index card. Written on the card was the name 'Schuster', that name I know. My 1985 Milan show bike TT1 was bought by Allen Schuster from NCR. Could one guy have bought two TT1's? I found an old email with his contact information. Sent Allen an email and crossed my fingers. I included my phone number, and in ten minutes my cell rang, Allen Schuster. He originally bought the Milan show bike TT1 in 1985, raced it a bit and then allowed Russ Paulk to race it. He still wanted to race in CCS, so he contacted NCR and ordered another TT1 in 1986! This one came with a big tube verlicchi frame. These details were amazing. He took the bike to Roebling Road and it seized the motor. Eraldo Ferracci was there and told him he would contact NCR to see if they would warranty the motor. They said yes. The motor was then built to an 816cc displacement. He raced it a few more times, I think he said the last time was a CCS race at Daytona in 1987. It looks pretty much the same as it was last raced. I would think this is one of the last TT1's built. I am still trying to get the time line organized and the details, but I couldn't be happier! Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm 

Good story, with a good ending. That should make owning it more fun. As a friend used to say; some people wait for luck, and some people make their luck.

Are you going to keep it with the old-fashioned shift/brake arrangement?

MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm 

Thanks Mike, still trying to figure out what I'm doing. First off needs some serious cleaning, and then the usual maintenance items. Maybe go back to the original rear sets and shift linkage. They put folding pegs on it as those were the rules back then. I'll keep the Forum in the loop as it goes along. I am very fortunate Mike, and a bit more broke, but hey the quality of cat food is getting better from what I understand! Lou

Attachments:
573E3DB0-A375-4CAE-B13D-CC6F3573AEEA_4_5005_c.jpeg
573E3DB0-A375-4CAE-B13D-CC6F3573AEEA_4_5005_c.jpeg [ 11.07 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]
 Profile Personal album