DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy F1s
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:51 pm 

Well Glyn you write as well as you wrench! I drifted off to Belgium in 1987 reading your adventure. Spa is a place I really want to visit one day. Rumor has it that a TT/F1 Symposium will happen during the vintage event soon! I hope that is true. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:22 am 

That story was a brief version of all the memorable moments from that weekend. The whole story is ridiculous. The belly pan of the fairing blew out of the pickup on my way collect pick Bill from his place only 5 miles away. We carried on and took the top half with us but once there found couldn't fit it without the belly pan. The bike proudly displayed a flat wooden board tied on with fencing wire with the number 171 chalked on it for the first race till we got it sorted out.
I took a call from my mate James Whitham the week we got home. Whilst driving up the valley he had found a fibre glass race belly pan blowing around in the road. Stopped to recover it and thought who could it belong to. I was the only fella that lived up that side who may have had reason to own one. He had rung the same day I lost it but we were already on the boat by then. 1978 -- no mobile phones - remember.
Whilst crossing the French/Belgium border in a very remote area, we had an issue with the border control regarding a travel carnet for the bike which we didn't have. Pre-EU this was always a real mess when crossing any European border. I had been warned so had taken the registration document for my 900ss and its registration plate. I lashed the plate on the back of the race bike's seat hump. This did the trick and we eventually got through in the middle of the night. We made a mistake and should have just driven through when we arrived as we had to wake him up in his kiosk to get his attention. Probably the reason he made a big thing of it.
In our relief to get going, we had forgotten we had left our Passports with mr Sleepy head. It was a miracle we found the same Border post on the way back from Spa. They were still on the desk. !

There is more but hey, maybe another time.
I have only a few pics of the bike sent to me over the years and will post them shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:33 pm 

I seem to recall the Swallow bevel being featured in Classic Racer back then. Have to see if I can dig it up.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm 

Sorry for the poor quality. A picture of a photograph, if you get me.

Attachments:
File comment: Corams bend, Snetterton 87. Bill is out of shot to the right. The bike is on its first rotation of many. Forks are already bent. It spun around a bit and bounced another three times after that. The fuel tank has departed and burst in the lower part of shot. The track marshall has already decided to surrender. What jolly fun we had that day.
IMG_20141113_192743.jpg
IMG_20141113_192743.jpg [ 528.72 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]
File comment: Posed picture after Spa. Bill must have taken a camera with him as I never owned one. Note the poor quality shot from an obviously cheap camera. Bill has always been tight with his money.
Great memories.

IMG_20141113_192504.jpg
IMG_20141113_192504.jpg [ 477.38 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]
File comment: Bill on board the bevel at Carnaby in the UK 87.
IMG_20141113_192504.jpg
IMG_20141113_192504.jpg [ 477.38 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:41 pm 

Ahh, wrong picture for the posed Spa shot. Try this one.

Attachments:
File comment: Spa 87
IMG_20141113_192711.jpg
IMG_20141113_192711.jpg [ 537.57 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:34 pm 

sports wrote:
... and built a special chassis copying the geometry of Bill's famous Velocette as far as possible.

Would this be the Velocette? I can see the similarities in the chassis concept with your chassis.
Attachment:
File comment: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sisterseagull/8679971868/in/photostream/
SwallowVelo.0.JPG
SwallowVelo.0.JPG [ 97.54 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]

Is there an evolutionary trail between the Scott chassis to the Velo, and ultimately with your Ducati design Glyn?
Attachment:
SwallowScott.1.jpg
SwallowScott.1.jpg [ 174.05 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]

Here is what the magazine cover looks like.
Attachment:
SwallowVelo.1.JPG
SwallowVelo.1.JPG [ 78.41 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:20 pm 

Yep, That's the famous Swallow Velo. At the time he built it many, thousands of years ago, he cut up a GENUINE Manx frame as a starting point. It used to sport a red fibre glass seat handmade made by the man himself. I remember a magazine article once said about it "It could only have been laminated by someone wearing boxing gloves in a darkened cellar". Brilliant !
Bill re-built (I hasten to say restored), the Velo a few years ago and even uses it occasionally these days.

The Bevel frame replicated as many key points as were practical (We are using a great big bevel engine here). The wheelbase had to be made a couple of inches longer due to the front head poking into the tyre, But seat height, footrest position, steering geometry were damn near the same. It was a small package for a bevel. I put the major connection points and angles of on a massive piece of paper. Then its simply a game of 'Join the dots'. Hey presto -- a frame. It took a mere 5 weeks to build from scratch. The magazine 'Classic Racer headlined it "The five week wonder"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:17 pm 

sports wrote:
It used to sport a red fibre glass seat handmade made by the man himself. I remember a magazine article once said about it "It could only have been laminated by someone wearing boxing gloves in a darkened cellar". Brilliant !
:lol: :lol:
I think I resemble that remark :roll:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm 

sports wrote:
Ignition is an Ignitech TCIP4 unit. A brilliant piece of kit which has only served to illustrate to me how poor the std system really is. For the 750 engine I am fitting an 851 crank timing sensor to trigger from the cam drive gear face so I can junk the Kokusan pick ups as they were the only bit of the original system left on the 600, --

Glyn.

Hi Glyn, I am just warming up to fit Ignitech to my 900SS TT2 rep at the moment, combined with FCR 39s. Hopefully it will be plug in and play and I can net a nice neat little wiring harness together round it. What did you use for coils?.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:45 pm 

I had some from an Aprilia 1000 laying around so used those. They were 4ohm resistance as std Ducati coils but you can use what ever you want with the ignitech. There are settings available in the software for dwell etc, forget all that, just tick auto configure box and it sorts it all out itself from the incoming signals. It even works out which way the pickup(s) are wired and sets itself for the polarity.
I cannot recommend this TCIP4 unit enough. It is so clever I am convinced there must be a little man inside it.-- laughing at me.