DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F1 production history
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:38 am 

Hi Folks,
I am trying to document the specs for all F1 variants as part of a video project that I am putting together from my YouTube channel. I'd like to be accurate with my info and there are some big gaps in my knowledge, cross referencing with my own knowledge and other reliable references shows that some sources are not necessarily accurate with some variation on the numbers. My primary info has come from the 1986 F1/Montjuich workshop manual as well as the Motorcycle specs site. Would anybody like to have a look at my info so far, fact check and maybe help me fill in the gaps? I have in easy to read spreadsheet form. My email dustyvisormotorcycles@gmail.com if you feel like reaching out directly, or comment below if you prefer.
Thanks for any help!

Colin

Ducatis: 749S, Multistrada, F1
Moto Guzzi: 1100 Sport

Post subject: Re: F1 production history
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:47 pm 

Colin, there is a ton of knowledgeable folks here hopefully someone will make contact !
Good luck
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:34 am 

huit wrote:
Colin, there is a ton of knowledgeable folks here hopefully someone will make contact !
Good luck
Paul

Thanks Paul, I hope so, it is a bit quiet ....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:14 pm 

Hi.......
I think the biggest chunk of data in one place is the Ian Fallon book attached, mostly accurate. Someone else chime in on what they think is current best sources of info.

Attachments:
20230709_082415_resized.jpg
20230709_082415_resized.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 9488 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:51 pm 

I copied this from a post that Mr. Falloon posted on FB a year or so ago:

The TT2 marked the first official factory return to competition since 1975. and, except for the basic engine architecture, the race bike shared little with any production model. Taglioni designed a completely new frame, weighing a mere 7kg, and the rear suspension was provided by a single cantilever with a single Paioli shock absorber. This The compact and heavily triangulated frame was, comprised of essentially straight tubes, was exceedingly compact and heavily triangulated around the steering head. It retained the engine served as a stressed member, and helping to keep the weight down to the racer weighed in at a feathery 122kg. The bike was also extremely compact, with only a 1,395mm (55in) wheelbase. The With a claimed power was 76 HP at 10,750 rpm, and in the this effective racer expressed the finest Taglioni tradition of achieving maximum results through a balance of power and weight the TT2 was an extremely effective racing machine. It was light, athletic, slim, and had a wide power band.

For In 1984 both the TT1 and the World Endurance Championship were restricted to 750cc and this thus provided providing the impetus for the creation of the 750cc TT1. Ducati ran a factory-prepared prototype TT1 As a precursor, in July 1983 at Ducati’s happy hunting ground, Barcelona’s Montjuich Park, a factory-prepared prototype TT1 where in the hands of Benjamin Grau, Enrique de Juan, and Luis Reyes it won the annual 24-hour race. In front of 250,000 spectators they completed completing 708 laps to the second place Kawasaki’s 690 laps. This success led to factory entries in several 1984 endurance events but good results were difficult to come by. Ducati preserved persevered for 1985, the modifying the TT1 now with 16-inch wheels, a 42mm Marzocchi fork, linkage rising- rate rear suspension, and more than 90 horsepower. But withUnfortanately, limited resources meant good results this year were even moreremained elusive.

Cagiva’s acquisition acquired of Ducati in 1985 an immediately resulted in being a more serious racing program. and Tthe 1986 season started well. with Marco Lucchinelli In March, Marco Lucchinelli won winning the Battle of the Twins race at Daytona in March on an experimental 851cc 750F1- based racer. Lucchinelli later also went on to winwon the Battle of the Twins race at Laguna Seca and as well also as won the opening round of the World TT Formula 1 Championship at Santamonica, Misano. Later, atAt the Barcelona 24- Hour race in October 26 Juan Garriga, Carlos Cardus, and the steadfast Benjamin Grau, won with the 851cc TT1.

Though the TT2 and TT1 were achieving considerable racing success it wasn’t until 1985 that a production version, the 750 F1, appeared. While reasonably faithful to the factory racer, it was compromised in its details as was quite often usual the case with production Ducatis at this time, .it was quite compromised in details. Small 500cc Pantah valves restricted the 750cc engine’s breathing and some of the styling was awkward. The basic Marzocchi suspension and the combination of 16-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels also compromised handling. But still, compared to the final bevel-drive Milles and the SL Pantah, the F1 was a generation ahead when it came to steering and handling. Despite only a cantilever rear suspension system, the F1’s low weight and short wheelbase made the F1 it a surprisingly quick road bike for considering its lowish power output. Just like the magnificent TT1 and TT2 racers, it managed to match much more powerful bikes with its better balance and wider power band.

A significantly improved 750F1 appeared for 1986. Engine updates included stronger crankcases, crankshaft, and gearbox, ; larger valves, ; and a hydraulically operated dry clutch. Also suspension was improved, with an adjustable 40mm Forcella Italia fork replacing the basic Marzocchi. To commemorate the 1983 24-hour race victory at Barcelona, a higher specification, limited- edition race replica was created out based on of the 750 F1. This was the 750 F1 Montjuich, was a race replica that continued reflected the finest tradition of Ducati’s limited edition models. The Montjuich was considerably much more highly tuned than the F1, with hotter camshafts, Dell’Orto PHM40ND carburettors and a less restrictive Verlicchi 2 into 1 "Riservato Competizione" exhaust system. Rear suspension was still via with a simple cantilever rear end, but the swing-arm was an aluminium Verlicchi item, and both front and rear wheels were 16-inch, much like the factory TT1 racers. These The wheels were special lightweight composite Marvics with magnesium hubs and spokes, and Akront aluminum rims. Rim sizes were much wider than the standard F1 at 3.50x16 and 4.25x16, and shod with Michelin racing tires. Other detail differences included an aluminium fuel tank, four- piston Brembo "Gold Line" racing calipers with fully floating discs all round (280mm at the front and 260mm rear), a vented dry clutch, and racing- style front fender. The relationship between the Montjuich and F1 was similar to that which existed between the original 1974 750 Super Sport and 750 Sport. : A limited production bike that offered higher performance through engine modifications, better brakes, and less weight. Unlike the original 750 SS, the Montjuich was created and sold as a limited edition item, each of the 200 bikes having a numbered plaque on the gas tank.

By 1986 the Cagiva takeover was well in effect, and the new management was anxious to promote both Cagiva and Ducati in the US. The 1987 F1 race replica was named the Laguna Seca in honour of Marco Lucchinelli’s won the Battle of the Twins win at Laguna Seca that year the 1987 series of F1 race replicas was named the Laguna Seca. Each of these the 296 bikes had a replica Marco Lucchinelli signature on its gas tank. The final limited- edition 750 F1 was the 1988 Santamonica, named after the circuit at Misano where Marco Lucchinelli won the first round of the 1986 Formula 1 World Championship.

The entire 750F1 line, and in particular the three models of limited- edition replicas, represented the end of an era for Ducati. It had started with one of the most successful Ducati racing bikes ever, the 600 TT2, and ended with a series of race replicas totally in keeping with the spirit and essence of Ducati. For many enthusiasts these were the last true fundamentalist Ducatis.

-fin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:05 am 

Thanks everyone for the help. I am searching for that Falloon book now actually. Let's see what else I can find, the spreadsheet is developing and there aren't too many blank spots left, hopefully the info I have is accurate. I will post a link to the YouTube video when it's done, be a while yet tho....