DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windscreen fitting/reshaping
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:39 pm 

Howdy,
On the bubble type windscreens. I have an acrylic windscreen that just doesnt fit up quite right to the fairing. The screen is more of a half circle shape wear it mounts and the fairing is more of a U shape, it flattens/straightens out a little in the front. Its not far off, but I dont like it. Any tips on reshaping the screen. I think trimming....and how much luck have you guyz had with heat to try and deform it/reshape it.....hairy dryer???

Any tips appreciated,
Clay

Post subject: Re: Windscreen fitting/reshaping
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:12 pm 

Do you have any pictures? I don't think a hair dryer would get hot enough to help. A heat gun would probably work better, but you need to preheat the whole piece a bit, then work on the area you need to shape. It would also help to have something to rest the heated plastic on that has the approximate radius you are trying to achieve, till it cools. If you have an old screen, it might be worth practicing your technique. Cutting and trimming is to be expected. All the TT windscreens I've ever fitted are usually longer than the fiberglass. I use an angled die grinder with a 2 inch disc. You can clean the result with a sanding block by hand to get a nicely deburred edge. Another bit of advice, do not remove the protective paper till you are done. If there is none, I like to use green painters masking tape. If you screw up, and get a scratch, you can polish light scratches out. Use a drill bit made for plexiglass. When I mount my windscreens I drill 1/8 inch holes and use Clecos to hold the screen to the fiberglass. These are just some suggestion. Sorry if I went a little overboard! We probably have a plexiglass expert on this Forum! Lou

Attachments:
IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3195.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 3158 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Windscreen fitting/reshaping
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:43 pm 

Thanx Lou...