DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this forum dying? We have only 366 members.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:57 pm 

I guess I'm too old to share on fb the moment when I torqued a head or changed a lightbulb.
Don't need to ask on 3w why my bike won't start, I'll figure that out myself (as long as it's not computer-corrupted).
I respect the guys who put a lot of work in keeping the Ducati heritage alive, be it bikes, the men or the history of them.
Even thought of, after seeing piuma's posts, digging into the old scrapbooks for pics of TT's and F1's that were raced in Belgium.
This forum is by far the most used of the four I visit on a daily base, certainly with such rare bikes.
I certainly don't think this forum is dying just because other media are "more succesfull/more visited".
Just don't want to shift through too much collateral garbage to find info or interesting (to me) facts, when I can find them on a forum that is focused on the things I'm interested in.
Could be that I don't get to all the events, gatherings and interesting meetings 'cause they're only on fb. So be it.
Just my 5 lire.
And another post to add :D

ciao
beppi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:57 pm 

Hello Lou,

What’s the story of the TT1 you posted a pic of ?

Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:03 pm 

Hey Graeme! Hope life is treating you well. I really like that picture. The history of that TT1 is very interesting. It was the 1985 Milan show bike on the NCR show stand pictured in one of Mick Walkers Ducati books. Allen Schuester from the USA bought the bike and requested the 38mm Marzocchi be replaced. with the then new, 41.7mm M1R's. He raced it a bit then had Russ Paulk, an American race it for him. It was then sold to Pablo Real, another racer who took her to a a number of podiums against faster machines. Then low and behold I owned her for enough time to clean her up a bit and then sold her to the late Jack Silverman. I'm not quite sure where she is now, I think somewhere in Colorado. I regret selling her so much, but I put myself in so much debt to buy her, I had no choice. There's a lot more to the story, maybe in another post! Lou

Attachments:
tt-web (24).jpg
tt-web (24).jpg [ 169.03 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]
get-attachment-4.aspx_2.jpeg
get-attachment-4.aspx_2.jpeg [ 189.3 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:23 pm 

If I made the list then maybe this forum is truly in trouble? Still reading through the responses reflects that the participants here are hardcore non face book curmudgeons like me.
We all intended to contribute more but the time thieves seem to target my world! I will eventually escape there clutches and post more.
-Cranky-
PS-Nice pics of that bike Lou.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:46 pm 

ducttf1 wrote:
I guess I'll weigh in on this one. To start with, if this was, or is, a money making endeavor it would suck! Could we use more postings with more frequency? Sure, but I like to think of this Forum as quality over quantity. I too don't indulge myself on facebook and post every bolt I turn or every bike I build. I do try to share, on our Forum, stuff that might help guys get through some of their projects. Asking questions when I need some help. I did belong to bevelheads and some other forums and found too many egos and assholes to be frank. This 'little', sparingly used, forum is perfect in many ways. People from all over the earth, here for no other reason than sharing info, enthusiasm, and friendship. No, not the most popular thing on the internet by far, but I love it, and look everyday. I apologize for not posting more. I will try, and in response to Cal, post as much as you like. I always enjoy reading your posts. No egos or bad attitudes, just friendship and passion. Lou

I think like you.
I have gone through several forums and here, very valuable things are contributed, I like it that way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:53 am 

ducttf1 wrote:
I guess I'll weigh in on this one. To start with, if this was, or is, a money making endeavor it would suck! Could we use more postings with more frequency? Sure, but I like to think of this Forum as quality over quantity. I too don't indulge myself on facebook and post every bolt I turn or every bike I build. I do try to share, on our Forum, stuff that might help guys get through some of their projects. Asking questions when I need some help. I did belong to bevelheads and some other forums and found too many egos and assholes to be frank. This 'little', sparingly used, forum is perfect in many ways. People from all over the earth, here for no other reason than sharing info, enthusiasm, and friendship. No, not the most popular thing on the internet by far, but I love it, and look everyday. I apologize for not posting more. I will try, and in response to Cal, post as much as you like. I always enjoy reading your posts. No egos or bad attitudes, just friendship and passion. Lou

Thanx Lou....for kind words about my posting...now.....I gotta go find an Alazzurra to chop up so I have something to post about....or ride and break the F1 so you guyz can help me figure out how to fix it.....

Clay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:26 pm 

Thanks Lou
Interesting story
You are very fortunate to have owned it.

Regards
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:22 am 

I am a relatively new member as my F1 has sat in the back of the garage as a long term project but is now making it's way through the resto. process. Like many I am lurk on both FB and online forums. Based on recent experience I am winding back the FB element as I find the general rudeness is appalling and the number of people who hold themselves out as experts when they know jack about what they are talking about is disturbing. I would counter the stats with how many of the 366 members are actual owners vs. the 3600 FB watchers? With a bike like the F1 and TT we only have a small population in the first place. Yes it's nice to generate interest in our bikes but I would never act on advice derived from FB without verifying first. A simple story for example - I am also restoring a Yamaha YZF750R at the same time as my F1 (when one is waiting for stuff the other one continues - that's the theory). When it came time to restore the forks it was clear that nobody actually knew how to dismantle the bottom of the USD inner (the bit that hold the spindle and brakes). The suggestions from people online would have had me destroying the fork leg. Fortunately a conversation with the guys at Rad Hard Chroming put me on the right path and I will soon have a properly restored fork inner. The moral to the story, don't use FB for mechanical advice. I think FB really is only useful for finding parts in your chosen community now that EBay is becoming so expensive - but I would caveat that with it is an unregulated and uncontrolled environment as well. So while this is a relatively quiet community it is an informed and helpful one, and that I think means it is not dying, just sleepy.
Cheers
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 pm 

Wow Ducshtick! that was a great bit of inside information! A Faberge egg indeed. I lusted after that bike for 20 years. After Alan sold it to Pablo Real he raced what was left of her. I believe my TT1 is sporting the original forks that were on the Milan show bike, as Alan had them put on the then new M1R's. Here are a few more pictures of the old girl. Do you have any pictures, also are you still in contact with Alan? Is that Alan in the middle picture #43? Lou

Attachments:
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg [ 321.18 KiB | Viewed 1772 times ]
43 - Talladega 2-86.jpg
43 - Talladega 2-86.jpg [ 5.44 MiB | Viewed 1772 times ]
pabloreal-2.jpg
pabloreal-2.jpg [ 324.23 KiB | Viewed 1772 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:28 am 

Hello Lou,

I think I missed something?
I know it’s slow here in Tasmania but it seems (to me) that you answered a post that hasn’t made its way down here yet ????

Graeme