DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 500 pantah engine dry weight ? anyone know ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:31 pm 

Good evening everyone,

I have followed this forum for nearly a year and really enjoyed it :D . Although I am not yet a racer, I finally have registered as I have an aspiration to get into some form of classic racing into my later years in the UK. Less on the competitive side more for the fun and satisfaction. Some guys do what they call 'parading' over here.

My collection is two 600sl Pantah's with relatively low kms (very slow restoration projects :-) ) here in the UK. I also have a 500 that I first owned back in my native Australia its time to start doing something with this one (been sitting in a mates garage since I emigrated to UK).

I have a burning question :?: would anyone a have a rough idea of the dry weight lbs or kg of a 500 motor - minus carbs, intake manifolds, starter. Purely the bare lump of gearbox, barrels and heads. Im in process of obtaining quotes from shipping companys back in Australia and trying to get and idea of cost and the weight. On that note would anyone back in my native Land Down Under know of reputable shipping companies in Western Australia that would ship a crated minimal pantah 500 lump to UK?

All the best, I hope to post more questions and learn more on this forum, some great reading.

Post subject: Re: 500 pantah engine dry weight ? anyone know ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:22 pm 

With no starter, probably about 150 to 160 lbs. I had one shipped from Hawaii once. MikeV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:59 am 

i boxed my 750 motor a few weeks ago and with 20 kg of wood and screws it was 79kg.

you could try connor anderson.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 am 

Let me ask a question, what are your plans for the 500 engine? I ask because if you are planning on racing and doing any upgrades to the 500, you might be better off just starting with a 650 engine. The 500's do not hold up well when hot rodded. You could take that shipping money and put it towards a better engine.

Dave