DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Australian manufactured four valve haed.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:36 pm 

Hello Glyn,
Any pictures taken with a modern camera?
Regards
Graeme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:26 am 

By 'modern camera' I presume you don't mean 'mobile phone' !
I never was much good with the camera. I always seemed to be wearing the overalls with oily hands at any crucial moment worthy of note.
The old bike is looking a little second hand as we speak and maybe needs a few hours of tlc to merit a picture. It was parked against a wall at the back of my works in 1992, then hauled along with me through several house moves down the years since then.
Interestingly, the minimalist upper body work became the catalyst for John Britten to alter his fully faired bike to the Britten we all know today. I met John at an International BOTT race meeting at Assen soon after I had finished the bike. He came over in the paddock and showed a keen interest in what I was doing. His bike then showed up the following year with it's new radical body design. After a chance meeting again at the IOM TT a few years later he confirmed the connection.

Who cares about what I did, -- If it helped influence in any small way to influence the Britten, then it was all worth even ten times the effort I put in.

I think I have some pictures taken during the bike's build in a drawer somewhere. A mate snapped them as he knew I wouldn't bother to do so. He had a really good camera, before mobile phones arrived.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:09 am 

I've got a mobile 'phone. I can walk from the computer to the shed before it cuts off. I can't seem to take snaps with it though.
Does anyone know where the film goes ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:36 am 

in Italy, there is a new mobile phone model named: Fast photo, fast COFFEE!

Yes, he takes pictures, and while the visions, you can drink coffee and electronically by the nozzle at the rear of the phone.

:shock: :shock: :shock: mumble...mumble.....

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:06 pm 

sports wrote:
Interestingly, the minimalist upper body work became the catalyst for John Britten to alter his fully faired bike to the Britten we all know today. I met John at an International BOTT race meeting at Assen soon after I had finished the bike. He came over in the paddock and showed a keen interest in what I was doing. His bike then showed up the following year with it's new radical body design.

Two pics of the early Britten (just like it was on the folder).

Attachments:
Britten-Assen-1.jpg
Britten-Assen-1.jpg [ 656.6 KiB | Viewed 1582 times ]
Britten-Assen-2.jpg
Britten-Assen-2.jpg [ 455.12 KiB | Viewed 1582 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:31 am 

I am sure these pics were taken at the same Assen BOTT meeting. I remember Gary Goodfellow being the rider and it looks much like the Assen paddock.
John organised a specials competition on the Saturday evening after practice and qualifying was over. As I emerged from the shower, my two mates helping with the spanners were giving my bike a quick polish then pushed it across for the gathering.
It won the award, however, that now meant we had to wait for the prize giving on the stage at the club house party later that evening when we were all for hitting the town and grabbing some beers and a Pizza. The club hose party was quite spectacular so nothing was lost. - Plus the bonus of getting time to talk with John during the evening. We think we are around forever. Sadly, it is not so.

We are ALL so very lucky to have an interest in Ducati's such as this is.

I had a quick look at the old bike today,-- not as bad as I first thought, just some old battle scars and bit of garage rash. Pics will follow soon. I wonder if any one local here might have a set of rollers ---- hmmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:56 am 

I was at Assen that DCR weekend.
We were racing in the supermono class ;)
Do remeber the Britten getting started on rollers with the rearwheel of a bedford driving them.
When the Britten's clutch was released the van started to chake.
This was because the compression of that beautifull enige refused to start at ones.
When it finally did start the sound i will never forget.

It was a shame that the rider of the Britten broke his collerbone during practice.
Was that Goodfellow? Do remember a lot of trouble for the Britten team trying to replace there rider.

Later we had a good look at the engine while the team was reparing it in the pitsbox at Monza.

Happy memory's.

remco

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 pm 

" Pics will follow soon. I wonder if any one local here might have a set of rollers ---- hmmmm."

Perhaps a video camera? :P :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm 

If you're even semi-crafty you could back up another bike to it. Even a friggen scooter. Just have that camera handy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 am 

sports wrote:
By 'modern camera' I presume you don't mean 'mobile phone' !
I never was much good with the camera. I always seemed to be wearing the overalls with oily hands at any crucial moment worthy of note.
The old bike is looking a little second hand as we speak and maybe needs a few hours of tlc to merit a picture. It was parked against a wall at the back of my works in 1992, then hauled along with me through several house moves down the years since then.
Interestingly, the minimalist upper body work became the catalyst for John Britten to alter his fully faired bike to the Britten we all know today. I met John at an International BOTT race meeting at Assen soon after I had finished the bike. He came over in the paddock and showed a keen interest in what I was doing. His bike then showed up the following year with it's new radical body design. After a chance meeting again at the IOM TT a few years later he confirmed the connection.

Who cares about what I did, -- If it helped influence in any small way to influence the Britten, then it was all worth even ten times the effort I put in.

I think I have some pictures taken during the bike's build in a drawer somewhere. A mate snapped them as he knew I wouldn't bother to do so. He had a really good camera, before mobile phones arrived.

Hy Glyn,

I was in Assen too that year where we raced a Rotax Supermono. I remember this bike in fact I remember you (or one of your group) approached us since we had a Truck from Soest in Holland, a place where some family roots could be found.

There are far far away some pictures of those years in our archives......

Regards, Ron