DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DYNA coils and Kokusan ignition
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:56 pm 

Question: Has anyone here heard of or experienced any compatibility issues using DYNA 3.0 ohm coils (green ones) with the standard Kokusan ignition of the 1980s-90s? Thanks, MikeV

Post subject: Re: DYNA coils and Kokusan ignition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:35 am 

3 ohm coils will work fine. The 3 ohm "mini" works as well and is a little easier to fit.
Actual ohm measurement on those is 2.4 ohm.
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:06 pm 

Thanks Cranky. All mine (old and new) measure about 3.3 ohms. But the TT900SS has started blowing the 10 amp fuse to the ignition. Erratically, and finally I could not even start the bike without it blowing. So, everyone said --- electrical gremlin -- check the groundings. Loosened and re-tightened the many grounds. Pulled almost every wire (not a lot of them) on the bike and could find nothing. Individually swapped and/or disconnected battery, solenoid, plugs, wires, DYNA coils, small wiring harness to the coils, Kokusan boxes, and the regulator (and simply disconnected it) --- and it still blew the fuse as soon as the power was turned on.

Then I put on the Ducati stock black 1990s 5 ohm coils. Problem solved. It is ready to go. What the hay?

I did find that one of the Kokusan boxes now has a bulge in the middle, like my waist from sitting around this year, and it was not there before. Still measures as "good", and worked with the Ducati coils. Yes, I did replace it anyway. Was that the cause, or an innocent bystander?

MikeV

A couple of years ago one of the Dyna coils split around the center, all the way around. Then the other one went bad. Replaced both. Also destroyed a NEW set of DP igniters boxes in one morning of sessions; never knew why. I am getting suspicious of these things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm 

Not sure what to say other than I've seen a few examples over the years of using the greenies with kokusan. Just a thought... if they are single output coils ...make sure your hooked to the right terminals with the +12. I think the dual ones dont care. Most of us are running the Dyna mini series 3 ohm with no trouble and an improvement in throttle response. I compared the inductance specs of these minis - Primary 14mH/secondary 29H to the greenies primary 11.85mH secondary 51H and think that might explain the trouble. Gotta talk to one of those electrical engineers to consult.
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album