DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E.P.M. Wheels Info
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 am 

Currently looking at a pair of circa 1980 E.P.M. 18" wheels, don't know a lot about them & interested in people's thoughts on their fragility.

Vendor believes they are ali alloy, but they are marked 'not for highway use' & expect they are magnesium, as most E.p.m.'s were? They've been painted, & i've only seen photos.

Some online links suggest they are pretty fragile, & i'm trying to get the sale subject to crack testing.

Comments appreciated.

Post subject: Re: E.P.M. Wheels Info
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:34 am 

Hi Andrew,
I have no experience with EPM's, but I'd be very leery about putting any 35 year old magnesium wheels with an unknown history back in service without a complete strip down with inspection, testing, and re-coating by a certified company such as PTI Industries. And even then probably only on nice smooth race tracks. I think good safe wheels for our Pantahs are the most difficult and most expensive items to get right. Maybe Magni could offer some good advice?
Bill
http://www.magni.it/epm_6_razze.htm
http://ptiindustries.com/services/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:24 pm 

I believe the older versions were produced in Aluminum and Magnesium. Just as they still do today.

If not for highway then likely they are Mag. The aluminum versions were [are?] heavy.

MikeV

PS: if they are painted white, and being sold in the US on fleabay, then be careful. One seller doing that likes to shoot glops of paint over some rough wheels; makes them pretty in the listing photos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:22 pm 

I used to hangout with a fellow who raced Ducatis in the 70's-80's. I remember him saying that he preferred EPM over campagnolo because they were stronger. One mans opinion. Good advise about getting an old used set checked out.