DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rear Rotor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:35 pm 

Hi Fran,
If you are in a bind for a rear rotor, I have an ex-750F1 stock rear that's available. Non floater, iron, 260 dia., with the mounting you specified. Offset is 22mm from the wheel side mounting surface to the wheel side rotor surface. I'd be happy to lend it to you while you look for something lighter. Also, for what it's worth, Robbie gets better lap times on a TT with Michelin DOT's than with slicks.
Bill

Attachments:
IMG_5626.JPG
IMG_5626.JPG [ 2.42 MiB | Viewed 1034 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:46 pm 

Thanks Bill,

I have a 650 rear rotor about the same on my old 790 the one Robbie rode some years past. I slotted the carrier webs on the mill with a rotary table just to make me feel better. This new setup is for the 840 Bruce built for me, it's also a big-tube Verlicchi frame from the batch bought from the factory in '86 just never built anything into it yet. Can't be too late for finishing a slow-to-finish project, can it? I'm only 66 just getting going it may seem.

Why did Robbie get better lap times than slicks and what slicks were compared? Same dry track? Daylight? Pizza with anchovies?

Bill the $CDN is like .70 US so you guys need to come up to ride Calabogie. You can thank me later.

Always best regards,

Francis McDermott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:09 pm 

Hi Fran,
First off, you two need to talk about those subtle differences in your fast guy lingo, I should only talk over the differences in how they went on and off the rims, but I'll try. That was at the 8/2011 VIR AHRMA round, and we were experimenting with tires. We can't remember for sure if the slicks were Dunlop or Michelin (I'm thinking Dunlop) which were on for morning practice. The whole weekend had great weather. During lunch I switched back to the Michelin DOT's which we normally ran on it. Right away Robbie was much happier with those, probably because the slicks had a little too much grip for a traditional Harris TT chassis. The bike wasn't moving in ways that gave him confidence, and he was tending to fight it rather than just let it move, but again you need to talk to him. I've never been able to get it going anywhere near fast enough to experience that kind of stuff. As best I remember, the slicks were harder to lever on and off the rims, undoubtedly because they were stiffer. He had also tried Dunlop DOT's on it, I'm sure at Loudon, and we found he was faster on Michelin DOT's.
Bill

Attachments:
VIR_8-14-11 002.jpg
VIR_8-14-11 002.jpg [ 159.82 KiB | Viewed 985 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 pm 

What a sharp looker that little bike!

Dunlop slicks are better on heavier bikes, they live for a long time but warm slowly and don't at all like M1Rs in any guise, I continue to like Pirellis offerings far better and on a TT750 they last a long time as it is. Bad thing is they DON'T slide. If the tires are warm but wheel is not yet warm boom, on my arse again. Oops did not wish to implicate myself again but no need to ask how I know this. With warmers life is good. Are you fellas running any AHRMA events in 2016? I understand Robbie is all keen on that retro MV3 the lads are putting together.

Thanks,

Francis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:16 am 

Front rotor of a 1986-1987 Cagiva 350-650 Elefant : 260 floater, 80 mm inside 6x8mm bolts (if needed I can measure the offset) so that's an easy fit.
The disc itself is only 4.5-5 mm thick, thinner than the original brembo.
Be carefull to buy one : they are cast iron, rust and were a bit too weak to stop my Elefant (even without passenger) going down the Stelvio.
Due to the rust from the rotor, the inner aluminium piece can wear out and the disc becomes TOO floppy (hence : floppy discs :-)

I found a 220 Brembo floater (of some GP 125 bike) and a Brembo caliper of a early 851 (NOT the usual smaller Brembo) but this needs a few adapters to fit on the Campagnolo.
Guess I only could make it lighter by fitting the Zanzani floater :-)

For the fixed rotors : the rear of an Ducati Indiana is the same as the F1, just as hard to find.
Rotors of Cagiva Alazzurra 350-650 are the same but a bit lighter

ciao
ducadini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:34 pm 

Carlo Leoncini has what you need.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51 pm 

Thanks Fran. Still thinking about 2016.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:20 pm 

ducttf1 wrote:
Hi Fran, I usually make the rear master brake pivot because most of the NCR ones I've seen look like billet aluminum as opposed to the one you show.

Hi Lou.

You couldn't share that part, by scanning that outline with a ruler in the scan to varify scale, could you?
Much obliged! :D