DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tt2 clutch cover oil lines.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:54 am 

Hello world, A quick question. On some pics I've seen on tt2 clutch covers, they run a oil line out of the clutch cover(near the oil sight glass) then up to a oil cooler than back to the cover and into the crank. What size hose internally would you use? And was this a factory idea or a later modification? Boucher.

Post subject: Re: Tt2 clutch cover oil lines.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:50 pm 

I use 3/8 I'd line to the cooler, out of the cooler to an adaptor to change size to the heads
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:55 am 

The standard clutch cover has a steel tube cast into it to allow oil to pass from the crank case where the O ring sits to the end of the crank shaft. The external lines to an oil cooler simply replace this passage.

Pressure is maintained by the relief valve between the cases against system losses caused by the big end gap together with the small feed holes oil to the heads/cams, and the small hole in the crank shaft to lube the cam gears and starter bearing.

As these restrictions form only a small area there is not a great deal of actual flow, although it appears that way when you spring any leak as the pressure forces the oil out into free air at a MUCH greater rate.

I use Dash6 oil lines on my dry clutch kit/oil coolers. The fittings have a bore size of around 7mm which is more than sufficient.

Having said all that, try fitting an oil pressure gauge and let a hot engine tick over when the pump doesn't spin quickly enough to push the thin hot oil against the relief valve to maintain pressure. Scary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:17 pm 

According to Falloon the 1983 TT2 first used the lines you described, with a small line off the cool side of the cooler to the cam end caps. And at some time NCR offered a modified clutch cover with the two taps for the lines. MikeV

Attachment:
NCR_prospekt_1.jpg
NCR_prospekt_1.jpg [ 61.32 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]