DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Works left engine cover
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:34 pm 

Please go ahead and ask him Gilles. I did, and he said the boxes were not longer needed, that the DYNA would handle that. But I am also afraid something might have been lost in translation. And when I read the DYNA installation instruction it remains muddy to me.

MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:28 pm 

The dyna ds4-1? Is for bevel twins as it retains the mechanical advance.
Unless you intend on using a fixed advance you would need to retain part of your original ignition.
I could very well be wrong!
paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:55 am 

Some questions remain unanswered :

Is it possible to use a Dyna DS4-1 pick-up plate mounted of the shaft driving the pulleys and retain the original ignition modules (Bosch or Kokusan) ?

Does the fact that the shaft driving the cam pulleys rotate at half the speed of the crankshaft affect the ignition advance curce provided by the ignition modules ?

How does it look like to run an engine at a constant ignition advance ?

My reasonning is : if full ignition advance is reached at 3 000 rpm (or near it), maybe the constant advance is nor really a burden on a race engine.

I asked those questions to Sauro and I will report when I receive his answers.

Gilles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:46 am 

Has anyone run those questions past Dynatek tech support?
Bill
http://dynaonline.com/contact/contact-us.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:22 pm 

Gilles, I run a fixed advance on my Moretti, I have no issues but it is a track bike, I had been told once that it might cost me some hp.
I am more than happy, my ignition on the cam drive but on the clutch side
Paul

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:27 am 

Checked with Bruce Meyers and both the upper 70's hp 750 full race engine and the very lightly breathed on Alazzurra 650 engine that have used the Dyna pick up mounted on the belt pulley shaft, had the advance fixed. That fact never dawned on me because they were/are so well behaved, from start and idle and on up. The 900SS cams they both used probably helped in that regard. That Dyna pick up was first mounted on the pulley and two case screws way back by probably the bike's second owner and it has been bullet proof ever since. All I've ever noticed about it was the uncomplicated wiring and that it blocked the normal oil fill opening, but there are at least two other places to put oil in.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:45 am 

I suspect the main reason for the factory endurance racers to have an external setup was ease of component replacement under those long events. Timing accuracy is better with ignition triggered on the flywheel. There will be compromises with fixed advance. Starting from cold and popping on the overrun are some symptoms that the pantah-good bike has. Is that also true about yours Paul? I think Bills bike runs 30 deg fixed.
This an interesting subject as I get ready to wire an ignitec box to my bike. I want to see if there is benefit to custom ignition timing. I've read Brads great detailed report and his experience on the dyno. Wondering if its still true that the lump on the flywheel needs extending to compensate for the timing degradation?
-Cranky-

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:37 pm 

I beg your pardon - it starts good cold. Although sometimes that little Shorai does have trouble pushing frosty 20-50 around. And I'm used to those pops now, they wake me up good for turn in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:25 pm 

The Moretti starts easy, spot on about the popping!
I run 30 degrees advance.
The new ignition I have on the other project uses two pickups but has an advancer.
I won't know how it works until I run it in the new year.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 1308 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:14 pm 

Hello everyone,

I try to answer to your questions. The Dyna ignition system is made for run in the distribution shaft of the 750S round case, 1/2 rpm. Is perfect for my carter and also to install in the opposite side on the pulley (I tested also this solution before). With this system we lost the spark at the exhaust PMS, but this system has the fixed advantage degree. You don't need any parts of original systems except the coil.
We must take off the kokusan or bosch electronic modules.
The installation isn't difficoult. You need a goniometer installed at the end of the crankshaft and an comparator to find the PMS, on the horizontal head before, and on the vertical head after, with an lamp connected to the wiring (following the dyna instruction) we should find the spark point 30-32 degree before of PMS.
All my bikes are setted with this value, and they run good at the minimum rpm and run good at all rpm, but they are street bike. I know some people that use the dyna on race bike with different setting, 35-36 advantage's degree to optimize the maximum rpm horsepower, but they lost the minimum.
Obviously, a system with variable advantage system are better, and about this point in the next time I will do an installation in my F1 for testing a different ignition system, made in Germany and more expensive than the Dyna, but with an interesting advantage curve, I will tell you the results.

http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsys ... case-.html

I'm sorry for my english.

Happy new year to everyone.

Sauro Collini

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next