DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Works left engine cover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:34 pm 

As some of you may have noticed, Sauro Collini (Super Pantah Blogspot) is currently offering on Ebay a reproduction of the left side cover used by the Factory on some racing F1 in 1985 and 1986.

One of these engine is currently on display at the Ducati Museum in Bologna.

Sauro's proposition eliminates the outer part of the flywheel, reducing greatly its weight (I understand that only its center part is kept).

It also permits that the ignition timing can be adjusted without the need to remove any cover.

Please have a look at Sauro's Blobspot to make up your opinion. If you click on the photo intitled `Carter Superpantah`, you will see the details of its fabrication`(I have seen it at Sauro's home and it seems very professionally done).

Beside modifying the look of the left side of the engine, what do you think about this modification ? Is it necessary to rebalance the crankshaft ? Will the engine run uneasily at idle ?

Any advice or warning before I make the move ?

The discussion is open.

Gilles Lachance

Attachments:
engine-cover-works.jpg
engine-cover-works.jpg [ 96.65 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]
IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg [ 353.5 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]

Post subject: Re: Works left engine cover
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:50 pm 

Well, OK, here we go. I have bought the 600-750cc version, the one with the point near the sprocket and 14 bolts. I got a DYNA DS4-1 ignition, as he suggested, and asked him to make (extra cost) a custom plate for it. All seems to fit together nicely, and the various parts went into place easily (a dry run only; not yet building an engine with it). It seems you can use any-length crankshaft (can you say 851/916?), and a combination of alternators. I will also use his vented valve covers with this.

As for balancing, it seems that most cranks are balanced with the rods and pistons, but not with the flywheel. The latter seem to be balanced individually. You are keeping everything but the flywheel, and many after-market versions now weigh very little (see the photo of the odd TT flywheel I posted a while back). So you could say the weight loss is not that great if you have reached that point already.

My concern will be properly installing the ignition pickups, related parts, and correct wiring. And, trying to figure out how to time it with no peep hole!. My weakness at electronics shows up there.

Now the corrections will follow!

Attachment:
MG_3427.jpg
MG_3427.jpg [ 267.1 KiB | Viewed 2402 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:41 pm 

Mike,

When you say : You keep everything except the flywheel, do you keep the center portion of the flywheel (the parts that is made of a different material, steel I think) ?

Another question : since the Dyna DS4-1 pick-up plate is mounted at the end of the camshaft pulleys actuation shaft (which rotates half less quickly as the crankshaft), does it make any difference to the signal ? I suppose there is no more loss sparks (at the end of the exhaust stroke)and the spark plugs ignite only at the end of the compression stroke.

Am I correct ?

Gilles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:09 pm 

do you get a timing shaft extension with it?

timing will be easy. just put a tdc mark on the alt rotor and the mounting plate.

how much did it cost?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:51 pm 

Yes, a timing shaft extension comes with this kit.

I think Sauro is asking 800 Euros on Ebay. This price takes into account the fact that Ebay retains a 12% on the combined sale price and shipping charge.

If you contact him outside Ebay, he will ask a little less.

And considering that the $US is almost at par with the Euro, such a purchase comes much cheaper for Americans than for us Canadians.

Gilles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 pm 

whereas us australians get bent over and thoroughly reamed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:50 pm 

Thanks Gilles and Brad. You both added useful information.

Gilles. The ONLY thing removed is the flywheel bell. You need something for the sprague, for the starter gears, and to space the alternator outboard. Maybe the location eliminates the wasted spark when using flywheel pickups. Many aftermarket systems mount the pickups on the right side, on the other end of the cam timing shaft, at the double cogs.

Thanks Brad. But even after reading the DYNA installation instructions I do not know if the igniter boxes are still needed. The MG V35-V50 and Nevada 750 have very similar systems, and use the DYNA DS5-1 pickups. I really wonder if there is any difference. Yes, it is a good time to buy from OZ!

Pantah Good has one on his bike. Maybe he will tell me if the Kokusan boxes are still needed. My attitude is that I will figure it all out when I get serious about using it.

Thanks, MikeV

Attachment:
ignition French photo 4.JPG
ignition French photo 4.JPG [ 601.35 KiB | Viewed 2347 times ]

Attachment:
ignition MG V50 b1 on Ducati.JPG
ignition MG V50 b1 on Ducati.JPG [ 373.92 KiB | Viewed 2347 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:53 am 

Sorry, I was sleeping, thanks for the wake up Mike. No Kokusan boxes are on my bike, but the Klotz needs to go in thru the breather.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:13 pm 

Thanks for the note Bill. Then that would be one less thing to buy and add to the wiring. Neat.

Do not know if the question about the usefulness of the PSH side cover was answered. But, it would save some weight, eliminate the Bosch pickups, simplify timing (I think), and be really cool to look at.

MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm 

Another question :

If I use a Dynatek DS4-1 pick-up plate with this left cover, should I keep or delete the ignition modules ?

I am not an expert, but I think the ignition modules provide the advance curve. If I delete the ignition modules and connect the Dyna pick-ups directly to the coils, then will the engine fire always at the same ignition advance at any RPM ?

Maybe I should ask this question to Sauro.

Gilles