DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Works left engine cover
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:04 am 

Mike,
I'm glad my work arouses interest in worldwide ducati enthusiasts, as much that in Italy. Unfortunately, for now, this isn't my work but only secondary occupation, for this reason my development time are long.
I'm available to answer at all question about my work.

Paul,
what tipe of ignition do you use? Is it this?
http://allumage-electronique.blogspot.it

30 degree is perfect for road use, but in my opinion for race use this value penalizes the high range. For this reason someone, also in Italy, use a simply mechanical and manual system to change the advantage, only to easily start the motor.

Ciao

Attachments:
20140622_091751.jpg
20140622_091751.jpg [ 282.38 KiB | Viewed 1753 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:16 am 

Sauro, yes that is the ignition I am using.
I will try 32 to see if there is a difference at the top end.
Thanks Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:13 pm 

Sauro Collini has now installed a Sachse Electronic ignition system on his F1 (a real NCR built F1).

In my opinion, his engine is now running much better at idle speed and rev up fast.

Watch the short video on his blogspot :

http://superpantah.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:47 am 

I just began the installation of Sauro Collini (Superpantah Blogspot) left side engine cover on my 750F1 (a track bike). First benefit is the elimination of the outer component of the flywheel.

Second advantage is easy access to the pick-up plate (in my case from Elektronic Sachse) to make any necessary adjustment. Moreover, the Elektronic Sachse ignition system offer the choice between 8 different advance curves.

When visiting Jan de Vos (Redfox Grinta) in Belgium yesterday, we had a conversation about Sauro Collini's left engine cover (which is greatly inspired by the cover used on works F1 and TT1 in 1985 and 1986). Jan thinks that on racing bikes, it is good to have an easy access to the pick-up plate. By the way, Jan is a very nice guy and I encourage all of you to give him a call for your TT1, TT2, F1 needs (I do not get any monetary advantage by saying this).

Back to my installation, I plan to install thinner stator and rotor because, since they will be open to the air, I don't want the alternator to be harmed by dust or anything else.

More on this later.

Gilles

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 2.25 MiB | Viewed 1555 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 1555 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:57 am 

Hello Ducati souls, just a few questions on the works cover. If you use the dyna type ignition (750 bevel) you would set it at 30 degrees advance. So it will have 30 degrees at idle as well as top Rpm ? The pickups in this photo look like pantah type. Would they run the Bosch boxes with the ignition set at 30degress? Boucher.

Attachments:
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG [ 45.06 KiB | Viewed 1476 times ]
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG [ 72.77 KiB | Viewed 1476 times ]
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG [ 131.36 KiB | Viewed 1476 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:43 am 

Hi Boucher,

I am not sure I can answer all your questions. But, I will give you my input and I will ask Sauro Collini (Superpantah) to jump in.

Sauro Collini has installed his ``works inspired left cover `` on two of his Ducati. On his Pantah, he has installed Dyna pick-ups (on the cam driving shaft) and removed the Bosch ignition boxes. His Pantah rides with a fixed ignition advance.

On his 750F1 (and I am doing exactly the same on mine), Sauro has installed an Elektronic Sachse ignition kit (Hall effect pick-ups, black ignition box with 8 different advance curves to choose from). In my opinion, it will be the best set-up.

There is someone else who is currently offering another very interesting kit : It is Liam Venter (Fast Bike Gears in New Zealand). In this case, the Hall effect pick-ups installs on the lower cam pulley (hence right side of the engine). But obviously, it does not allow us to reproduce the ``works left side cover set-up``.

The few lessons I have learnt :

The original pick-ups mounted on the 750F1 have little coils in them. This old technology produces a less accurate signal. In particular, the full advance degree you set reduces itself by approximately 1 degree for each 1000 additionnal rpm. It is possible that the Bosch or Kokusan ignition boxes correct this effect. I don't know but since they are old technology I suspect that they don't correct the retard effect induced by the pick-up colis.

Hall effect pick-ups are of modern technology. Elektronic Sachse and Ignitech (used in Fast Bike Gear kits) use Hall effect pick-ups. In the case of Dyna pick-ups, I don't know. Hall effect pick-ups produce accurate signals everywhere on the rpm curve.

Original pick-up coils mounted around the flywheel produce lost sparks. At high rpm, this does not leave enough time for the coils to reach their maximum voltage output. Pick-ups installed around the cam driving shaft induce half less sparks and leave twice more time for the coils to reach their maximum voltage output with the side benefit of running less hot.

I hope this help.

Gilles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 am 

Since I'm also fiddling with ignition systems on Ducati motors since some time my thoughts to this topic:

If ever possible, I would get rid of the Bosch ignition, not because it is bad but only because ther are better techniques available nowadays. Anyways, the Bosch system was a great step forward 40 years ago.

As mentioned before, I'm a fan of the ignitech ignition - the TCIP4 offers a lot possiblities to build the ignition which fits the individual needs perfectly. It runs with conventional sensors as well as with hall sensors. And it is very affordable - but you have to adapt it to your bike and needs.

The TCIP4 can easily compensate the "loss" of advance timing at high rpm when using classic pickups.

I'm a little sceptical if one is dependent on the geometrical accuracy a PCP - as long as you can move the two sensors individually one may be able to tune the accuracy of the ignition - if not you may find disturbing discrepancy in the ignition timing of the two cylinders (happend to my when installing an ignition with both sensors on one PCP in Guzzi motors).

Also the use of a simple Hall sensor may be improved by using a pretensioned Hall sensor which makes you independend on the positioning of the tiny magnets in the ignition rotor. One can use instead a ferromagnetic rotor (e.g. made out of sheet metal) which is easier (and maybe also more precisly) to manufacture.

The use of a segmented disk in combination with only one pretensioned Hall sensor may be an interessting solution for Sauro's engine cover.

Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:50 pm 

Hello everyone, :)

Iam the maker of these ignitions
http://allumage-electronique.blogspot.fr/
I have been making them for over 20 years
All engines shown in the blog are equiped with the same ignition , only rotors are not the same ( depends on the maximum revs and primary coil )
Fixed advance point , totally accurate and very powerfull sparks ( depends of coil of course ,,, )

Look at Guy Coulon engines : 6cyl 300cc and V4 1000cc ( video on the blog for the 6cyl )
Brancquart competition 1000 CBX ( video youtube )

and many others ,,, before to fit my ignition they try others systems and they own benches ,,,, Tech3 is Guy Coulon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6fuAyrG3CM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ1-_F9PvXE

The first thing to consider is the turbulent mode combustion and front of flame speed

sorry for my english :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:43 am 

Attachment:
2015 Harris sept 09 (16).JPG
2015 Harris sept 09 (16).JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 1392 times ]

Hola amigos,

I have had this ignition on my Harris for a while now, and what I like apart from its efficiency and reliability is that it is not only small and light, but consumes very little power.

My ignition is produced by the pickup , the little 'box' , one double-outlet Dynatek coil, a pair of Dynatek leads and a pair of Denso Iridium plugs fed by a 4 A/h battery.

Weight saving is enormous ; no heavy flywheel to spin up

Merci Emmanuel .