DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Assorted flywheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:58 pm 

I am going to post these photos of some Pantah 2-valve flywheels first, and say something about them later. Sometimes I nod off waiting for the photos to load. My wife never noticed the oil on the scales. MikeV

This flywheel is a stock Pantah of some vintage. Heavy.
Attachment:
011.JPG
011.JPG [ 3.6 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

This is off a 1990s 600 M or SS. Rather light, but must go with the Kokusan pickups (see last photo). I use this one on the No 8 Pantah (IOM 1981) now, because I am out of good Bosch pickups. You can see the new igniter boxes installed on the last frame shots posted.
Attachment:
012.JPG
012.JPG [ 3.23 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

This is some unknown aftermarket Pantah flywheel I found on eBay (sold as a TT part); it does not appear to be a stock one that was machined. Very Light!
Attachment:
013.JPG
013.JPG [ 3.64 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

And, finally, one off an F3 400cc. Look at the location of the idle spots and the short timing! Oddly, this had a Bosch ignition. Not sure what to do with this one.
Attachment:
014.JPG
014.JPG [ 3.44 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

The next three photos are just some comparisons. Maybe you can see the advanced timing bump on the 600 Kokusan flywheel.
Attachment:
016.JPG
016.JPG [ 4.14 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

Attachment:
017.JPG
017.JPG [ 4.26 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

Attachment:
015.JPG
015.JPG [ 3.83 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

This last photos shows that the timing bump, and the timing marks, on Kokusan flywheels (even the 750s and 900s) are advanced about 7mm when the bolts and the dowel are lined up. The Kokusan pickups are moved the same so that the overall timing remains the same. Really, one way to get a reliable ignition and a light flywheel all in one.
Attachment:
018.JPG
018.JPG [ 3.9 MiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

I tried to take a modern light aluminum flywheel for the Kokusan ignition and step down the timing bump like the F1s/Pantahs, to use it with the [new, still good] Bosch system on my F1 (replaced when the original one finally failed at a track day in 2009), but the 7mm advance creates some installation conflicts inside the alternator cover. It ran, but not great. May try again when I am really bored and out of things to do. Maybe I will post the photos of that attempt here too, later.

I suspect the Brad has seen even more, and I have saved his great posts on the topic of flywheels and timing.